BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
zqkal
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi everyone, 

I have a sasdataset that looks like this. I need to recalculate the total column using values from the previous month and ratio from the current month. I tried using lag and retain function but I couldn’t get the correct answer. Any suggestion?

SAS dataset;

data t1;

input group $ amt ratio month total;

datalines;

A 1200 0.2 1 240

B 3290 0.1 2 0

C 2000 0.1 3 0

A 1000 0.4 1 240

B 5000 0.5 2 0

C 1430 0.6 3 0

;

run;

data t2;

set t1;

if month gt 2 then do;

total = ratio * lag(total);

end;

retain total;

run;

desire results:

A 1200 0.2 1 240

B 3290 0.1 2 24

C 2000 0.1 3 2.4

A 1000 0.4 1 240

B 5000 0.5 2 120

C 1430 0.6 3 72

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Astounding
PROC Star

Here's a way that should work:

data t2;

prior_total = total;

set t1;

if month > 1 then total = ratio * prior_total;

run;

A couple of notes ... you used gt as the comparison.  But the results are consistent with ge, not gt (hence month > 1 in my code).  Also, there is no need to retain TOTAL.  Since it is part of an incoming SAS data set, it is automatically retained.  It's up to you if you want to drop PRIOR_TOTAL.  You might want to keep it the first time, to better understand how the program works.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

Looking at your desired data output, I'm guessing that this has to happen only for Group B and C and not when the group is equal to A? 

Reeza
Super User

You can't calculate LAG conditionally. 

Calculate lag outside of the IF condition and then you can use it in the IF condition.

Astounding
PROC Star

Here's a way that should work:

data t2;

prior_total = total;

set t1;

if month > 1 then total = ratio * prior_total;

run;

A couple of notes ... you used gt as the comparison.  But the results are consistent with ge, not gt (hence month > 1 in my code).  Also, there is no need to retain TOTAL.  Since it is part of an incoming SAS data set, it is automatically retained.  It's up to you if you want to drop PRIOR_TOTAL.  You might want to keep it the first time, to better understand how the program works.

thomp7050
Pyrite | Level 9
data t1;
input group $ amt ratio month total;
datalines;
A 1200 0.2 1 240
B 3290 0.1 2 0
C 2000 0.1 3 0
A 1000 0.4 1 240
B 5000 0.5 2 0
C 1430 0.6 3 0
;
run; 

data t2;
set t1_NEW; 
FORMAT NEWTOTAL 8.2;
retain NEWTOTAL; 
IF MONTH = 1 THEN DO;
NEWTOTAL = TOTAL;
END;
if month GE 2 then do;
NEWTOTAL = ratio * NEWTOTAL;
end;
run;

Edit: Sorry, forgot the final run command!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation