BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
knveraraju91
Barite | Level 11

Dear,

I need to merge dataset one and fail to get dataset three. With my code I am getting only id =2  and 4 in the dataset three.

But some these subjects have been screened with different subject number(preid). I need to exclude if both id and preid have sf='Y'.

if preid has sf='N' and id has sf='Y' then id=preid and output to dataset three.

Please help.Thanks.

data one;
input id term $ preid;
datalines;
1 a 11
2 b 22
3 c 33

4 d
;
data fail;
input id sf$ ;
datalines;
1 Y
2 N
3 Y

4 N
11 N
22 N
33 Y
;
data three;
merge one(in=a) fail(in=b);
by id;
if a;
if SF='Y' then delete;
run;

In my ouput dataset I need all subject with sf='Y'.

output needed;

id  term

2     b

4      d

11    a

output getting:

id   term

2     b

4      d

5 REPLIES 5
art297
Opal | Level 21

Sounds like you want something like:

data three;
  by id;
  if a;
run;

proc sort data=three;
  by preid;
run;

data three;
  merge three(in=a) fail (rename=(id=preid sf=sf2) in=b);
  by preid;
  if a;
  if sf eq 'Y' and sf2 eq 'N' then id=preid;
  if not (sf eq 'Y' and sf2 eq 'Y');
run;

Art, CEO, AnalystFinder.com

mkeintz
PROC Star

You could make a dataset, call it EXCLUDES, consisting of all the ID/PREID pairs that have double SF='Y':

proc sql;

create table excludes

as select a.id, b.id as preid

from fail as a     full join   fail a b

on a.sf=b.sf

where a.sf='Y' and a.id<b.id

order by a.id,b.id;

quit;

Then just merge it with dataset ONE and eliminate all obs from ONE that are also found in EXCLUDES:

proc sort data=one;

by id preid;

run;

data three;

merge one   excludes (in=inex);

by id preid;

if inex=0;

run;

This code has the advantage, IMO, that it makes the purpose of the program more self-evident.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
ballardw
Super User

@knveraraju91 wrote:

Dear,

I need to merge dataset one and fail to get dataset three. With my code I am getting only id =2  and 4 in the dataset three.

But some these subjects have been screened with different subject number(preid). I need to exclude if both id and preid have sf='Y'.

if preid has sf='N' and id has sf='Y' then id=preid and output to dataset three.

Please help.Thanks.

data one;
input id term $ preid;
datalines;
1 a 11
2 b 22
3 c 33

4 d
;
data fail;
input id sf$ ;
datalines;
1 Y
2 N
3 Y

4 N
11 N
22 N
33 Y
;
data three;
by id;
if a;
if SF='Y' then delete;
run;

In my ouput dataset I need all subject with sf='Y'.

Note that your code I highlighted in red says to Delete when the value is the one you want.

knveraraju91
Barite | Level 11

Sorry. That statement should be In my ouput dataset I need all subject with sf='N'.

ballardw
Super User

Subsetting if:

if sf='N';

keeps on those records where the IF statement is true. Note that the location of the IF statement in your code can be very important if you manipulate any of the variables used. If you might have lower case n and what to keep those either upcase the variable earlier in the code or in the comparison:

if upcase(sf)='N';

also if the SF variable might acquire or have leading blanks then you want to strip them as " N" is not equal to "N"

if upcase(strip(sf)) = 'N'; 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 4 in conversation