BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
DmytroYermak
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Hi all,

Could you please help with importing .xls dataset into sas dataset and keep all figures after dot.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
DmytroYermak
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I wanted to add that unfortunately I lost some figures after proc import. I do not know the reason but finally I had to use the following code:

1) to assign libname to the file;

2) to read directly from the 'sheet';

3) to convert numeric to character using best12. .

options validvarname=any;

libname MDD pcfiles path='D:\Projects\filename.xls' scantime=yes;

data pkmdd;
  set MDD."Sheet1$"n;
run;

data ...;
   ORRES  = put(parameter,??best12.);
run;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Keep in mind that a SAS dataset has a maximum precision of ~ 15 decimal digits, owing to the way numbers are stored (8-byte real).

Do a google search for "SAS numeric precision" for the hard facts behind it.

Also keep in mind that (most) decimal fractions cannot be converted to binary without loss, because the binary numbers end up being periodic. 0.1 is just the simplest case.

DmytroYermak
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

Do I understand correctly that it worth to convert the xls into csv to keep all the figures after .dot? When I convert the file into .csv the max number of figures is 9, that is the case.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

You need to assign a format with enough fractional digits before saving the sheet as .csv. Excel writes data to csv as displayed.

Note that a textual format is inherently more usable than the native Excel format for transfer of data into SAS. With the Excel format, you have to rely on the guesses that SAS makes, while with a csv file, you have full control by manually writing the data step for the import. And you can inspect the data with a tool like notepad++.

Vince_SAS
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Have you tried adding a format when displaying the data, like @Kurt_Bremser suggested?

ods _all_ close;

ods listing;

proc import file='C:\temp\temp.xlsx'
  dbms=excel
  out=work.excel
  replace;
run; quit;

title 'EXCEL Engine';
proc print data=work.excel;
  format estimate 32.25;
run; quit;

proc import file='C:\temp\temp.xlsx'
  dbms=xlsx
  out=work.xlsx
  replace;
run; quit;

title 'XLSX Engine';
proc print data=work.xlsx;
  format estimate 32.25;
run; quit;

Vince DelGobbo

SAS R&D

DmytroYermak
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10

I wanted to add that unfortunately I lost some figures after proc import. I do not know the reason but finally I had to use the following code:

1) to assign libname to the file;

2) to read directly from the 'sheet';

3) to convert numeric to character using best12. .

options validvarname=any;

libname MDD pcfiles path='D:\Projects\filename.xls' scantime=yes;

data pkmdd;
  set MDD."Sheet1$"n;
run;

data ...;
   ORRES  = put(parameter,??best12.);
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 5 likes
  • 3 in conversation