DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

How to find the encoding type of a .xpt file

New Contributor

How to find the encoding type of a .xpt file

Hi All,

I have requirement to find the encoding type of a .xpt file, if i use libname+xport engine i am getting encoding type as"Default" but thats not the actual encoding.

If i use libname+xport engine+proc copy getting the encoding type of sas environment, means irrespective filetype, getting default sas encoding type.(i.e. UTF-8).

Please let me know, is there any way or X commands to find the encoding type.

Regular Contributor

Re: How to find the encoding type of a .xpt file

X commands are UNIX commands, so according to this StackOverflow post,

file -bi <file name>

should do the trick.

This page says you can specify encoding="utf-8" when creating the set.

This page says you can determine encoding from within SAS by right-clicking and selecting properties.

New Contributor

Hi  paulkaefer,

Thaks for your reply, i tried unix command in sas session howevr it's not working. Can you tell me any other way to do it.

Thanks,

Sandeep

Regular Contributor

The first thing to check is, are you actually running on a Linux/UNIX environment? If so, what is the log saying? It's difficult to diagnose the problem just based on you saying it's not working for you. Is there a chance it's looking in the wrong directory? Perhaps there is a problem with the command or program logic.

If you are running on Windows, you'll probably have a problem. The X statement will still work under Windows, but the file command is not available by default. You could install coreutils or Cygwin to get it on Windows.

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation