BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
yuta_adachi
Fluorite | Level 6

I want to export SAS data to csv file with all fields quoted.

I tried every method listed in following site and numeric fields with missing value are exported to " " (a quoted single space) but I need missing values to be exported as "" (nothing between two quote marks).

http://www.sascommunity.org/wiki/Create_a_CSV_file_without_column_names/headers_in_row_1

As a workaround I use option missing='7f'x to export to a temp file and then export to final result by compressing the '7f'x character.

Is there any smarter method that I can get the same result?

7 REPLIES 7
Reeza
Super User

Are you using a data step to export? If so, can you post your code? 

A brute force method is

if missing(var) then put " ";

else put ...

yuta_adachi
Fluorite | Level 6

I am using such a code.

options missing='';
data _null_; 
file "D:\temp\class.csv" dsd dlm=','; 
set sashelp.class; 
put (_all_) (~); 
run;
options missing='.';

I an writing the code so that the missing value is "", but it will output with " " (a quoted single byte space).

ChrisNZ
Tourmaline | Level 20

Because there there is no such thing as zero-length variable or format in SAS, I think you have to use @Reeza 's solution and do the processing manually, or post-process as you do now.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Seems like a silly requirement, but if you are willing to use two steps it is not too hard.

Let's make some test data with missing character and numeric values.

data test ;
 set sashelp.class (obs=3);
 if _n_=2 then call missing(sex);
 if _n_=1 then call missing(age);
run;

So first wrtie to a temporary file. Then read the temoporary file and "fix" the lines and re-write them. Add a comma to tbe beginning and end of the lines to make it easier. That way you can just convert both ," ", and ,".", into ,"",. You can then drop the extra commas.

filename step1 temp;
data _null_;
  set test;
  file step1 dsd dlm=',' ;
  put ',' (_all_) (~) +(-1) ',';
run;

data _null_;
  infile step1 ;
  file 'want.csv' ;
  input ;
  _infile_=tranwrd(_infile_,'," ",',',"",');
  _infile_=tranwrd(_infile_,',".",',',"",');
  _infile_=substr(_infile_,2,length(_infile_)-2);
  put _infile_;
run;

yuta_adachi
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for your response.

As a result I decided to use two steps. First I export to csv file by replacing missing values with characters that I do not use, and then deleted that character.

options missing='7f'x;
data _null_; 
file "D:\temp\baseball.csv" dsd dlm=','; 
set sashelp.baseball; 
put (_all_) (~); 
run;
options missing='.';

data _null_;
infile "D:\temp\baseball.csv";
file "D:\data\baseball.csv";
input;
_infile_=compress(_infile_,'7f'x);
put _infile_; 
run;
Reeza
Super User

What about using a space or similar as your hex character or will that interfere with your processing down the line?

yuta_adachi
Fluorite | Level 6

Because blank space is not accepted as a numeric field in a specification of outside system, I am trying to export csv file without a space between two quote marks.

Does this answer match the intention of the question?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation