BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Appreciate if someone of you help me understand the macro variable/function to overwrite &Prompt_Execution_dt. I was in the process of updating the old programs and when I execute this code in EG it asks for a prompt before it produce the result. However I was asked to not to use this approach now and I'm not certain what can I write in the below program instead of &Prompt_Execution_dt

34         Data _null_;
35         	FORMAT FirstDayofReportingMonth_dt LastDayofReportingMonth_dt REPORTING_DT DATE9.;
36         	FORMAT REPORTING_DTTM DATETIME23.;
38         	FirstDayofReportingMonth_dt = INTNX ('MONTH', "&Prompt_Execution_dt"d, -1, 'B');
39         	LastDayofReportingMonth_dt = INTNX ('MONTH', "&Prompt_Execution_dt"d, -1, 'E');
40         	call symput("FirstDayofReportingMonth", put (FirstDayofReportingMonth_dt, yymmddn8.));
41         	call symput("LastDayofReportingMonth", put (LastDayofReportingMonth_dt, yymmddn8.));
43         	REPORTING_DT = LastDayofReportingMonth_dt;                                                                                 

44         	REPORTING_DTTM = INPUT (PUT (REPORTING_DT, DATE9.) || ':23:59:59', DATETIME18.);
45         	call symput("reporting_date", put (REPORTING_DT, date9.));
46         	call symput("reporting_datetime", left (put (REPORTING_DTTM, datetime23.)));
47         	call symput("reporting_num_date", put (REPORTING_DT, yymmddn8.));
48         Run;

NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
      real time           0.02 seconds
      cpu time            0.01 seconds

50         %put FirstDayofReportingMonth = &FirstDayofReportingMonth;
FirstDayofReportingMonth = 20180301
51         %put LastDayofReportingMonth  = &LastDayofReportingMonth;
LastDayofReportingMonth  = 20180331
52         %put reporting_date           = &reporting_date;
reporting_date           = 31MAR2018
53         %put reporting_datetime       = &reporting_datetime;
reporting_datetime       = 31MAR2018:23:59:59
54         %put reporting_num_date       = &reporting_num_date;
reporting_num_date       = 20180331

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

Just replace the macro variable with TODAY()

Data _null_;
FORMAT FirstDayofReportingMonth_dt LastDayofReportingMonth_dt REPORTING_DT DATE9.;
FORMAT REPORTING_DTTM DATETIME23.;
FirstDayofReportingMonth_dt = INTNX ('MONTH', TODAY(), -1, 'B');
LastDayofReportingMonth_dt = INTNX ('MONTH', TODAY(), -1, 'E');
	call symput("FirstDayofReportingMonth", put (FirstDayofReportingMonth_dt, yymmddn8.));
    call symput("LastDayofReportingMonth", put (LastDayofReportingMonth_dt, yymmddn8.));     
REPORTING_DT = LastDayofReportingMonth_dt;                                                                                 
REPORTING_DTTM = INPUT (PUT (REPORTING_DT, DATE9.) || ':23:59:59', DATETIME18.);
	call symput("reporting_date", put (REPORTING_DT, date9.));
    call symput("reporting_datetime", left (put (REPORTING_DTTM, datetime23.)));
    call symput("reporting_num_date", put (REPORTING_DT, yymmddn8.));
Run;
Thanks,
Suryakiran

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
Community_Guide
SAS Moderator

Hello @Babloo,

Your question requires more details before experts can help. Can you revise your question to include more information? 

Review this checklist:

• Specify a meaningful subject line for your topic.  Avoid generic subjects like "need help," "SAS query," or "urgent."
  • When appropriate, provide sample data in text or DATA step format.  See this article for one method you can use.
  • If you're encountering an error in SAS, include the SAS log or a screenshot of the error condition. Use the Photos button to include the image in your message.
    use_buttons.png
  • It also helps to include an example (table or picture) of the result that you're trying to achieve.

To edit your original message, select the "blue gear" icon at the top of the message and select Edit Message.  From there you can adjust the title and add more details to the body of the message.  Or, simply reply to this message with any additional information you can supply.

edit_post.png

SAS experts are eager to help -- help them by providing as much detail as you can.

This prewritten response was triggered for you by fellow SAS Support Communities member @Kurt_Bremser

Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I want this program to use the current date.
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Why do you need all that in macro variables?  If you know the formula is index(...), then just use that in your code?  You seem to be putting a lot of effort into calculating things, then converting to text, then converting back to number to do some more calculations, then saving in text again, none of which seems to give any benefit.

SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

Hi,

Do you want to give date explicitly in your program instead of using the prompt? Then replace the &Prompt_Execution_dt with a macro variable that holds date value.

%LET Execution_dt=04APR2018;

Data _null_;
FORMAT FirstDayofReportingMonth_dt LastDayofReportingMonth_dt REPORTING_DT DATE9.;
FirstDayofReportingMonth_dt = INTNX ('MONTH', "&Execution_dt"d, -1, 'B');
LastDayofReportingMonth_dt = INTNX ('MONTH', "&Execution_dt"d, -1, 'E');
call symput("FirstDayofReportingMonth", put (FirstDayofReportingMonth_dt, yymmddn8.));
        	call symput("LastDayofReportingMonth", put (LastDayofReportingMonth_dt, yymmddn8.));     
      	REPORTING_DTTM = INPUT (PUT (REPORTING_DT, DATE9.) || ':23:59:59', DATETIME18.);
Run;
Thanks,
Suryakiran
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
I don't want to hard code anything here. I just want this program to
automatically take the current date instead of asking for a prompt.
ballardw
Super User

@Babloo wrote:
I don't want to hard code anything here. I just want this program to
automatically take the current date instead of asking for a prompt.

In a data step:

data _null_;
   lastmonthend = intnx('month',today(),-1,'E');
   put lastmonthend= mmddyy10.;
run;

However I don't know what you want, or if you even NEED, a macro variable to look like. The example data step should be easy enough to generate a macro variable if needed in the desired form.

One thing to consider about dates and macro variables: Are people looking at the variable or is it used in calculations internal to the process? Values in formatted date appearance such as "01MAR2018" or "03/01/2018" or "20180301" are more for humans to look at and for actual calculations in SAS data steps or selection filters involving dates then the numeric value, such as LASTMONTHEND above without a format applied is often preferred.

SuryaKiran
Meteorite | Level 14

Just replace the macro variable with TODAY()

Data _null_;
FirstDayofReportingMonth_dt = INTNX ('MONTH', TODAY(), -1, 'B');
LastDayofReportingMonth_dt = INTNX ('MONTH', TODAY(), -1, 'E');
Run;
Thanks,
Suryakiran

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 6 in conversation