BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Marian_2127
Calcite | Level 5

Hello everybody,

I'm just trying to delete some obs - the ones that are created at the same date and hour.

There is a column "creation_time" from which I extrat the creation_hour by using

attrib

creation_hour      length = 8      format = hour.

;

creation_hour = timepart(creation_time);

(That doesn't work as I expected it to because '11:47:32' becomes '12' but that is not really important for my task.)

But there is an actual problem: Even if '11:47:32' and '11:48:01' both lead to '12' the two obs still remain, if I try to delete one of them by using

proc sort nodupkey:     by creation_hour;

That means the column creation_hour actually still contains the whole information, with minutes and seconds, doesn't it?

How can I change this? I really only want the column to contain the numbers from 1-12 - is that possible? How?

Or is there a better way to do the job?

Thanks for any ideas Smiley Happy

4 REPLIES 4
ballardw
Super User

Creation_hour= hour(creation_time);

Should return just the hour.

Marian_2127
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for the idea but unfortunately, this doesn't return the hour. Now creation_hour equals zero for all obs - without any errors or anything in the log.

andreas_lds
Jade | Level 19

Why do you apply the hour-format to creation_hour? I think the problems are a result of applying the format.

Marian_2127
Calcite | Level 5

Ah, I see.

I used the format 'hour' because with

"creation_hour = timepart(creation_time); "

without this format, the column creation_hour contained numbers from zero to 86.399 (counting the seconds).

But with the correction
"creation_hour = hour(creation_time); "

the format is indeed not necessary.

Thanks a lot to both of you!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation