BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
jerry898969
Pyrite | Level 9

Hello,

I have a situation where I'm trying to track some user entered data.  They can enter data into a field on my website. 

I have compressed all letters and numbers and now want to take the special characters and create a table with 1 row per character with the id.

For example

id=1 text='(+)'

id=2 text='(=)(=)'

I need to create a table that will have the following data:

id=1 specChar= '('

id=1 specChar= '+'

id=1 specChar= ')'

id=2 specChar= '('

id=2 specChar= '='

id=2 specChar= ')'

id=2 specChar= '('

id=2 specChar= '='

id=2 specChar= ')'

I was looking a using a loop with substr, but I can't figure out how the syntax would be. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

CHAR similar to SUBSTR and has the advantage of defining new variable with the proper length 1.

data a;
   id=1; text='(+)'; output;
   id=2; text='(=)(=)'; output;
   run;
data b;
   set a;
   do i = 1 to length(text);
      char = char(text,i);
      output;
      end;
   run;

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

CHAR similar to SUBSTR and has the advantage of defining new variable with the proper length 1.

data a;
   id=1; text='(+)'; output;
   id=2; text='(=)(=)'; output;
   run;
data b;
   set a;
   do i = 1 to length(text);
      char = char(text,i);
      output;
      end;
   run;
jerry898969
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks data_null_.

That worked perfect for me. 

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Out of interest, why split them up into one row per character?  It looks like a formula of some kind, perhaps pattern matching (Perl Regular Expressions or similar) may be more effective, however depends on purpose of course.

jerry898969
Pyrite | Level 9

We have a site where users can put in code as if it was a where condition.  I want to pull out all the special characters by ID and then I'm going to roll them up into a count to see how many special characters are used.  Then I can investigate what special characters are causing issues and exclude them from being used.

This is the steps my lead has asked me to take. 

Thank you to all who replied.

jklaverstijn
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

How about this?

data test;
	length specchar $1 charvar $80;
	input id charvar & $char80.;

do i=1 to length(charvar);
		specchar = substr(charvar, i, 1);
		output;
	end;

drop charvar i;
	cards;
1 een lekker lange tekst met 1 of 2 cijfers erin
;
Astounding
PROC Star

Here's a small issue to consider.  Is it possible that the incoming field will be blank?  If so, do you want to output a single blank (vs. output no record at all)?

The LENGTH function returns a minimum value of 1, even when the incoming field is blank.  You might want to condition on:

if text > ' ' then do i=1 to ...;

jerry898969
Pyrite | Level 9

I'm doing that check in the data table before I use data_null_'s code.  So it will eleminate any blank rows.

Thanks for pointing that out.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 3 likes
  • 5 in conversation