BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
AmourK
Fluorite | Level 6

I have two questions. First being how do I create a function in SAS/SQL that takes in three numbers and outputs a number to be stored in a variable. See question below, and then chart for clarification.

Second question, how do I apply the aforementioned function on the current observation variable (in a datastep) onto every other value in a column WITHIN a by group.

Please see the "chart"  below for a clearer picture.

This is (approximately) what my dataset looks like.

RaceNum        PlayerID       Rank     OldScore      NewScore

Race1         25909                1             90                   . -> avg(F(90, 87, 1), F(90, 83, 1), ..., F(90, 66, 1))

Race1         34391                2             87                   . -> avg(F(87, 90, 0), F(87, 83, 1), ..., F(87, 66, 1))

Race1         38971                3             83                   . -> avg(F(83, 90, 0), F(83, 87, 0), ..., F(83, 66, 1))

...                  ...                  ...             ...                   . -> ...

Race1         23023                8             66                   .->  avg(F(66, 90, 0), F(66, 87, 0), ..., F(66, 73, 0))

Race2         44919                1             91                   . -> ...

...                 ...                   ...             ...                    . -> ...

Race 2        25921               16            77                   . -> ...

...                 ...                   ...              ...                    . -> ...

Race1276      35901              30            53                   .

%F(athlete, opponent, winner) = *Where F is some user defined function. winner= 1 if opponent loses and otherwise = 1;

I was thinking of somehow transposing the dataset to get something like this:

RaceNum        PlayerID     Rank   OldScore   NewScore    Rank1Score     Rank2Score     Rank3Score ... Rank8Score  R16Sc

Race1             25909              1       90              .                      90                      87                   83                   66

Race1             34391              2       87              .                      90                      87                   83                   66

...                    ...                  ..        ..

Race2             44919              1       91                                     91                       ...                                            ...             53

I could do this by possibly by having 50 if statements (largest number of racers in a race) 

data test1;
    set test;
    if Rank=1 then Rank1Score = OldScore;     else if Rank=1 then Rank2Score = Oldscore;                                  ....     else if Rank=50 then Rank50Score = OldScore; run;

And then use SQL:

proc sql;
    create table test2 as
    select *, max(Rank1Score) as rnk1score, ...., max(Rank50Score) as rnk50score
    from test1
    group by RaceNum;
quit;

Or using retain and lag statements and then left joining the last entry in each race using SQL.

But even then, I am not sure how to go about Rank&NScore Columns in SAS...

tl;dr: I am stuck.

I appreciate any questions, ideas, criticisms, pointers, or even solutions ;).

Thank you.

3 REPLIES 3
Reeza
Super User

Are you required to use SQL? 

And what are you trying to do in plain language? 

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Would be a good idea if you clarified your question.  Post some simple test data - in the form of a datastep - and what the output should look like.  From that mass of text I gather than you are transposing your data up - unless its for an output file I would recommend not doing that as it will just make your coding more difficult.

Anyways, you can simply achieve what you want by:

/* assumes sorted! */
proc transpose data=have out=want prefix=rankscore;
  by racenum playerid;
  var oldscore;
  id rank;
  idlabel rank;
run;

Note that this will make your variables rankscoreX, not as you suggested as it is far easier to work with variable names with the numeric suffix.

AmourK
Fluorite | Level 6
Thank you! I transposed the data as you showed, and managed to get the scores by race in a row.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation