BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
muchkin
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I am using SAS EG 5.1 at work. I have a data base like below, with 14 columns. 1st column is unique IDs , and the rest are Instructions, which are in form of codes (numbers between 0 - 200) . Is there a way I can calculate the frequency of occurrence of a specific code value (for eg 30) in the whole instruction 1 : instruction 13 grid collectively. I have tried Proc freq, but that gives me tables for single columns separately.

I have previously done this in excel using the countif (range, criteria) code where I have set the range to the whole grid, and criteria as the value of the specific code.

Is there a SAS EG/BASE equivalent to the above function , where I can find the collective frequency of a specific number in a range of columns.

IDinstruction 1instruction2instruction 3instruction 4instruction 10
instruction 11
instruction 12
instruction 13

Thank you for the help Smiley Happy

4 REPLIES 4
hbi
Quartz | Level 8 hbi
Quartz | Level 8

Give this a try. It does not use PROC FREQ, but I believe this technique performs more efficiently than using multiple PROC FREQs.

/* stack the output first and get counts for each column */
PROC SQL;
  CREATE TABLE instruction_merged AS 
  SELECT           instruction_1  AS instruction_code, COUNT(id) AS group_frequency 
  FROM work.your_dataset GROUP BY instruction_1
  UNION ALL SELECT instruction_2  AS instruction_code, COUNT(id) AS group_frequency 
  FROM work.your_dataset GROUP BY instruction_2
  UNION ALL SELECT instruction_3  AS instruction_code, COUNT(id) AS group_frequency 
  FROM work.your_dataset GROUP BY instruction_3
  UNION ALL SELECT instruction_4  AS instruction_code, COUNT(id) AS group_frequency 
  FROM work.your_dataset GROUP BY instruction_4
  UNION ALL SELECT instruction_5  AS instruction_code, COUNT(id) AS group_frequency 
  FROM work.your_dataset GROUP BY instruction_5
  UNION ALL SELECT instruction_6  AS instruction_code, COUNT(id) AS group_frequency 
  FROM work.your_dataset GROUP BY instruction_6
  UNION ALL SELECT instruction_7  AS instruction_code, COUNT(id) AS group_frequency 
  FROM work.your_dataset GROUP BY instruction_7
  UNION ALL SELECT instruction_8  AS instruction_code, COUNT(id) AS group_frequency 
  FROM work.your_dataset GROUP BY instruction_8
  UNION ALL SELECT instruction_9  AS instruction_code, COUNT(id) AS group_frequency 
  FROM work.your_dataset GROUP BY instruction_9
  UNION ALL SELECT instruction_10 AS instruction_code, COUNT(id) AS group_frequency 
  FROM work.your_dataset GROUP BY instruction_10
  UNION ALL SELECT instruction_11 AS instruction_code, COUNT(id) AS group_frequency 
  FROM work.your_dataset GROUP BY instruction_11
  UNION ALL SELECT instruction_12 AS instruction_code, COUNT(id) AS group_frequency 
  FROM work.your_dataset GROUP BY instruction_12
  UNION ALL SELECT instruction_13 AS instruction_code, COUNT(id) AS group_frequency 
  FROM work.your_dataset GROUP BY instruction_13;
QUIT;

/* get sum of sums */
PROC SQL;
  CREATE TABLE instruction_counts AS 
  SELECT instruction_code, SUM(group_frequency) AS total_frequency
  FROM instruction_merged
  GROUP BY instruction_code
  ORDER BY instruction_code;
QUIT;
MikeZdeb
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi.  If you don't mind creating another data set, you could transpose your data prior to PROC FREQ ...

* create some data, 100 observations, 14 variables (an ID plus 13 instructions)

data x;
array ins(13);
do id=1 to 100;
do j=1 to 13;
ins(j) = int(200*ranuni(1234));
end;
output;
end;
keep i: ;
run;

* create a new data set with only two variables, INSTR (instructions 1 to 13) and COL1 (value of instructions 1 to 13);
proc transpose data=x out=y (drop=id) name=instr ;
var ins1-ins13;
by id;
run;

* use PROC FREQ on the new data set;

proc freq data=y;
table col1*instr / norow nocol nopercent;
run;

Hopefully you won't mind that instructions 1 and then 10 through 13 appear in the first 5 columns.  If it's an issue, you could always change the values of variable INSTR in data set Y (make INSTR1 -> INSTR01, INSTR2 -> INSTR02, etc.).

Reeza
Super User

Same method as above, but using EG Tasks:

In EG use the Transpose Task to flip the table  so that you have:

ID Instruction Value

1 1 1

1 2 23

1 3 23

Use One Way Freq Task on the resulting table

MikeZdeb
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Hi, sugestion for renaming the variables in my previous post (insert just after PROC TRANSPOSE)

data y;
set y;
if length(instr) eq 4 then instr = catt('ins0',char(instr,4));
run;

That would convert INS1 to INS01, INS2 to INS02, etc. and the table columns would be in variable number order.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation