BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
sy12345
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello, 

I am using SAS 9.3 and I have a variable "DATEOFDIAGNOSIS". When I look in the Column Attributes of the Viewtable, it has a format of BEST12. informat of BEST32., length is 8, and type is numeric (Example: 20090930). I would like to change this variable into a SAS date value, so I can use it to do date calculations. I want to have it in date9. informat. 

I tried a bunch of different code after researching and in some cases, only some of the dates converted and others were left blank. 

I tried the following codes and did not work: 

data demo2;
set demo;
DATEOFDIAGNOSIS2 = input (put(DATEOFDIAGNOSIS, 12.), yymmdd8.);
format DATEOFDIAGNOSIS2 YYMMDD8.;
run;

data radtumorreg3;
set radtumorreg2;
char_var = put(DATEOFDIAGNOSIS,12.);
sas_date = input (char_var, mmddyy8.);
format sas_date date8.;
run;

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

As you will see on every post here, post some test data in the form of a datastep.  The code I provide below works fine, so what "does not work"?

data have;
  date_num=20090930;
  date_var=input(put(date_num,best8.),yymmdd8.);
  format date_var date9.;
run;

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

As you will see on every post here, post some test data in the form of a datastep.  The code I provide below works fine, so what "does not work"?

data have;
  date_num=20090930;
  date_var=input(put(date_num,best8.),yymmdd8.);
  format date_var date9.;
run;
sy12345
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you very much! Worked like a charm!

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

@sy12345 wrote:

Hello, 

I am using SAS 9.3 and I have a variable "DATEOFDIAGNOSIS". When I look in the Column Attributes of the Viewtable, it has a format of BEST12. informat of BEST32., length is 8, and type is numeric (Example: 20090930). I would like to change this variable into a SAS date value, so I can use it to do date calculations. I want to have it in date9. informat. 

I tried a bunch of different code after researching and in some cases, only some of the dates converted and others were left blank. 

data demo2;
set demo;
run;

data radtumorreg3;
set radtumorreg2;
format sas_date date8.;
run;

Thank you!

The problem is you are using w=12 in the PUT and that is RIGHT justified.  When you read CHAR_VAR with MMDDYY8 it only reads the first 8 characters 4 of which are blank.

Change 12 to 8 or use the justification modifier 12.-L 

ballardw
Super User

@sy12345 wrote:

Hello, 

data demo2;
set demo;
run;

data radtumorreg3;
set radtumorreg2;
format sas_date date8.;
run;

Thank you!

If you have 8 digits why did you put 12? That adds 4 blank spaces at the begining of the character value. The mmddyy Informat starts reading at the first position of the character value which is blank and hence invalid.

sy12345
Fluorite | Level 6
I didn't know about that. I just saw that the format was in "BEST12." so I thought I had to match that. Thank you for the info though!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation