Each number now will have 8 digits.

How to do it in SAS?

Thanks so much!

Cindy

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

Is A numeric or character?

If numeric do you actually need a new variable or for it just to appear with leading zeroes? In this case you can just assign a format to display with zeroes: Format a z8. ;

If A is character there's a number of ways but

A = put(input(a, best8.),z8.) ; might work.

cindyforest7
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks!'

It is numeric, and I don't want to create a new variable.

If I want to merge two tables based on A (one table displays with zero, one table does not ), will changing formating work?

CTorres
Quartz | Level 8

If A is numeric in both SAS tables you should be able to merge the tables without changing anything.
The internal representation of A (numeric variable) is the same in both tables. The diference in the display should be because of the format in the table: Z8. (with leading zeroes) v.s. 8. or best8. or none (without leading zeroes)

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation