DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

How to check if variable names of one data set are variable names of another data set ?

Accepted Solution Solved
Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to check if variable names of one data set are variable names of another data set ?

Hi,

I would like to check if data set qt's variable names belong to variables names of another data set rit. The below is how I did it, but when I use 'name in &ritnames' in following code,

I need those ritnames in quotation marks, but they are not. How to add these quotation marks to the variables in &ritnames to make it work? Or someone can suggest another way

to achieve the same purpose without using my way? Thanks.

%let rit = gw.rit;

%let qt = gw.qt;

proc sql noprint;
  select name into :ritnames separated by "," from dictionary.columns
       where libname="%upcase(%scan(&rit,1))" and memname="%upcase(%scan(&rit,2))";

select name into :qtnames separated by "," from dictionary.columns
       where libname="%upcase(%scan(&qt,1))" and memname="%upcase(%scan(&qt,2))"
             and name in (&ritnames);

quit;

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎09-07-2013 08:01 PM
Respected Advisor

Re: How to check if variable names of one data set are variable names of another data set ?

%let rit = gw.rit;

%let qt = gw.qt;

proc sql noprint;
  select quote(cats(name)) into :ritnames separated by "," from dictionary.columns

and name in (&ritnames);

quit;

Or something like:

proc sql noprint;

where libname=upcase(scan("&qt",1)) and memname=upcase(scan("&qt",2))

and name in

(select name from dictionary.columns

where libname=upcase(scan("&rit",1)) and memname=upcase(scan("&rit",2)));

quit;

So that you don't have to worry about the 64K length limit of the first macro variable.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Solution
‎09-07-2013 08:01 PM
Respected Advisor

Re: How to check if variable names of one data set are variable names of another data set ?

%let rit = gw.rit;

%let qt = gw.qt;

proc sql noprint;
  select quote(cats(name)) into :ritnames separated by "," from dictionary.columns

and name in (&ritnames);

quit;

Or something like:

proc sql noprint;

where libname=upcase(scan("&qt",1)) and memname=upcase(scan("&qt",2))

and name in

(select name from dictionary.columns

where libname=upcase(scan("&rit",1)) and memname=upcase(scan("&rit",2)));

quit;

So that you don't have to worry about the 64K length limit of the first macro variable.

Contributor

Very nice answers. The first version uses quoted variable name list while the second version uses a SAS variable column.

🔒 This topic is solved and locked.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation