DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

How to change formats within a PROC SQL INSERT statement?

Accepted Solution Solved
Occasional Contributor
Accepted Solution

How to change formats within a PROC SQL INSERT statement?

Hello SAS Community, 

I'm trying to insert some, but not all, columns from a SAS dataset into a Teradata table with the following statement below.  I'm receiving the following error message.  Is it possible to change the datatypes of columns from a SAS dataset to match those of the destination columns in a Teradata table when inserting?  I've tried numerous ways of doing this without success.  I tried a statement like this put(input(From_Dt,mmddyy10.),mmddyy10.); but even getting that changed to a datatype resembling the format found in TD did not work. 

I would like to match the data types within the INSERT statement and avoid an extra preceding step to change the formats to match those in the TD table.  I am using Base SAS 9.4 and Teradata v 15.10.  I apologize if this is overly simple or rudimentary but I can't find an example of this scenario anywhere and I have been stuck a long time.  Any assistance you can lend would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks in advance for your help.

ERROR: Value 1 on the SELECT clause does not match the data type of the corresponding column listed after the INSERT table name.

ERROR: Value 2 on the SELECT clause does not match the data type of the corresponding column listed after the INSERT table name.

ERROR: Value 4 on the SELECT clause does not match the data type of the corresponding column listed after the INSERT table name.

ERROR: Value 7 on the SELECT clause does not match the data type of the corresponding column listed after the INSERT table name.

rsubmit;
proc sql noerrorstop;
connect to teradata (user="&xxxxxxx" password="&yyyyyyy" tdpid='xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx' schema='xxxxxxxx' mode=teradata);

INSERT INTO DB.TABLE (

REPORTING_START_DT       /* Shows as DATE FORMAT 'yyyy-mm-dd' in Teradata table */
,REPORTING_END_DT           /* Shows as DATE FORMAT 'yyyy-mm-dd' in Teradata table */
,PROGRAM_NM
,TIN                                           /* Shows as DECIMAL(9,0) in Teradata table                        */
,ACCT_NBR                            
,ACCT_PRDCT_CD
,ACCT_CO_NBR                      /* Shows as SMALLINT in Teradata table */
,ZONEID_1
,RF1)

SELECT
 From_Dt                            /* Shows as $12. (03/01/2018) in SAS dataset */
,To_Dt                                /* Shows as $12.  (03/31/2018) in SAS dataset */
,'Lab Monitoring' AS PROGRAM_NM
,TIN                                   /* Shows as $9. in SAS dataset    */
,Acct_Num 
,Product_Code
,COID                       /* Shows as $3. in SAS dataset    */
, 0 AS ZoneID_1
,-1 AS RF1

from SAS_dataset;

DISCONNECT FROM TERADATA;
QUIT;
ENDRSUBMIT;

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎04-24-2018 01:38 PM
Super User

Re: How to change formats within a PROC SQL INSERT statement?

It should be INPUT, not PUT

View solution in original post

All Replies
Trusted Advisor

Is the problem with dates only ?

SAS dates are numeric containing teh days passedsince 01/01/1960.

Have you tried:  put(From_Dt ,mmddyy10.);  assuming that mm/dd/yyyy is a teradata literal format,

otherwise replace the mmddyy10. format to an appropriate format to be read by teradata sql.

Occasional Contributor

When I try this to test that approach,

data test;

set test_1

From_Dt_Test = put(From_Dt,mmddyy10.);

run;

it returns this ERROR 48-59: The format $MMDDYY was not found or could not be loaded.

Solution
‎04-24-2018 01:38 PM
Super User

It should be INPUT, not PUT

Super User

You're changing TYPES not FORMATS (different meaning in SAS).

You can use INPUT() to convert character to numeric and PUT() to convert numeric to character.

input(from_dt, yymmdd10.) as from_dt format = date9.

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation