BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Agent1592
Pyrite | Level 9
* a) CAR1 (3-day window);
proc means data=sample noprint;
   *define the even window and check that the start date is not far from report date;
   where -1<=td_count<=1 and intck('day',rdq,date)<=5;
   by permno rdq;
   var ret;
   output out=CAR1 (rename=(_freq_=daysCAR1)) sum=CAR1;
run;

* b) CAR2 (between consequent quarterly earnings announcement dates);
proc means data=sample noprint;
   where 3<=td_count and date<=leadrdq1;
   by permno rdq;
   var ret;
   output out=CAR2 (rename=(_freq_=daysCAR2)) sum=CAR2;
run;

I am trying to calculate returns around earnings announcement dates. The code above calculates summed returns. Does anybody know how to calculate compounded returns?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Agent1592
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks do you think my code is correct. I am trying to calculate compounded returns between earnings announcement dates. I am just curious how the code treats the 0 returns. These are not missing values. 

proc univariate data=have2 noprint;
  by permno rdq;
  var _ret_plus1;
  output out=need2 n=n geomean=gm_ret_plus1;
run;

data Ret2;
  set need2;
  compound_ret=gm_ret_plus1**n-1;
run; 

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10
Reeza
Super User

It's late so my brain isn't working at the moment but I think there's a trick of some sort using either geometric means or log() of a value.  

Reeza
Super User

It's late so my brain isn't working at the moment but I think there's a trick of some sort using either geometric means or log() of a value.  

PeterClemmensen
Tourmaline | Level 20

So rdq is the announcement date right? And td_count represents the days until/since the announcement date?

So what does your desired output data set look like?

Agent1592
Pyrite | Level 9

Yes rdq is the announcement date. For the first types of returns CAR1 I am trying to calculate compounded returns around the announcement date (1 day before and 1 day after). -1<=td_count<=1 

For the second types of returns CAR2 I am trying to calculate returns around announcements dates 3 days after the announcement until the following announcement. (3<=td_count and date<=leadrdq1).

Ksharp
Super User

Check function  FINANCE() ,maybe you could find answer in it.

mkeintz
PROC Star

Since proc univariate can produce a geometric mean, it can help generate a compound return:

data have2;
  set have;
  _ret_plus1=ret+1;
run;

where -1<=td_count<=1 and intck('day',rdq,date)<=5;
  by permno rdq;
  var _ret_plus1;
  output out=need n=n geomean=gm_ret_plus1;
run;

data want;
  set need;
run; 
--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

Agent1592
Pyrite | Level 9

Thank you for the proposed solution. This is excellent. Do you know why there is a column called number of non-missing values. Why is it set to 3? Is it from the univarariate proc?

mkeintz
PROC Star

You need to know the number of non-missing values of _RET_PLUS1 because the geometric mean of _RET_PLUS1 is the constant value that would be required on each day to get to the compound return of the actual varying values of RET.   So you need to know how many days were used to get the geometric mean, which you see used  in may DATA WANT step.

Now perhaps you always know the number of days satisfying your WHERE filter, but my solution adapts to instances of missing records within the date ranges.

The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for

Agent1592
Pyrite | Level 9

Thanks do you think my code is correct. I am trying to calculate compounded returns between earnings announcement dates. I am just curious how the code treats the 0 returns. These are not missing values. 

by permno rdq;
  var _ret_plus1;
  output out=need2 n=n geomean=gm_ret_plus1;
run;

data Ret2;
  set need2;
run; 

mkeintz
PROC Star

You have asked a good question, which you can answer by looking at some data with zero returns.  It's your turn now, to not just  use the code I suggested, but to understand it through testing.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 5 in conversation