BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
SAS_user
Calcite | Level 5
Hello,

how to increase SAS processing.
Everything was ok, but suddenly all my datasteps and sortsteps, became significantly slower.
For instance:
Earlier:
NOTE: There were 26919787 observations read from the data set WORK.************.
NOTE: The data set WORK.************ has 26919787 observations and 8 variables.
NOTE: PROCEDURE SORT used (Total process time):
real time 5:54.18
cpu time 2:14.35

Now:
NOTE: There were 25018900 observations read from the data set WORK..************.
NOTE: The data set WORK..************ has 25018900 observations and 8 variables.
NOTE: PROCEDURE SORT used (Total process time):
real time 15:30.68
cpu time 2:17.62

I think the sort procedure works OK, but outputting to a dataset is quite slowly.
2 REPLIES 2
Paige
Quartz | Level 8
The real time took longer, but the CPU time was approximately the same.

This would indicate to me that the problem isn't SAS, its the other things your computer is doing.
DanielSantos
Barite | Level 11
From my experience, In the end, it's always a I/O problem.

Have you measured your I/O at the system level?

You should have no less than 70MB/sec per process to achieve a reasonable performance.

Cheers from Portugal.

Daniel Santos @ www.cgd.pt.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation