BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
nirav351
Calcite | Level 5

I have summary data.

i need to caclulate median and minimum value for those summary data.

I have other statistics values - standard deviation, variance, average.

so, how we can caclulate median and minimum value using this statistics values ?

let me know, if any questions.

5 REPLIES 5
FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Hi @nirav351,

So, you don't have access to the original data and the only available information is standard deviation, variance (redundant) and average?

This would render the calculation impossible, except for the trivial case that variance=0. With a little more information such as the number of non-missing values (N) and a distributional assumption about the data, at best, you could obtain (possibly very rough) estimates.

Also, how does your post relate to text mining (see forum title)? [Edit: In the meantime an administrator or super user has moved the thread to a more appropriate forum. Thanks!]

nirav351
Calcite | Level 5
No I do not have any othet data.

##- Please type your reply above this line. Simple formatting, no
attachments. -##
Reeza
Super User

Without more info we can't help. 

Given the current provided info it doesn't appear possible. 

FreelanceReinh
Jade | Level 19

Here is an example:

data test;
input x @@;
dataset=ceil(_n_/5);
cards;
1 10 12 13 14
6 7 8 10 19
;

proc print data=test;
run;

proc means data=test var std mean median min;
by dataset;
run;

The two "datasets" (combined into one dataset TEST just to simplify the code) have 5 observations each. They have the same variance, standard deviation and mean (average), but their medians (12 vs. 😎 and minimum values (1 vs. 6) differ considerably.

Ksharp
Super User

An important thing is what distribution your data conform to? Normal , Poisson ?

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation