BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
renalstats
Fluorite | Level 6

What I am trying to do, is use a wildcard for character variables (in this case, ICD-9 codes) within proc format. 

To keep things simple (because a lot of ICD coding has a lot of suffixes and we only care for the primary prefix), I am using coding for uncomplicated hypertension (ICD-9 code 401), which has 2 subcodes (4011, 4019).  I do not want to add a format definition for 4011 and 4019 (this becomes much more arduous when dealing with many other ICD-9 codes). I simply want to create a format by the prefix, and everything after the prefix will be assigned the same format definition. 

The prefix code I am interested in, in this case, is 401 (as a character).

I have tried using a colon

"401:" = "Hypertension Uncomplicated - ICD-9"

in proc format (in an attempt to include 4011 and 4019), to no avail.

Here is my code:

proc format; 
value $test
"401" = "Hypertension Uncomplicated - ICD-9"
; 
run; 
quit; 

data test_form; 
input PatID ICD9$;
datalines; 
1 401
2 4011
3 4019
; 

data test_form; 
set test_form; 
format ICD9 $test.; 
run; 

proc print data = test_form NOOBS;
title "Testing format wildcards"; 
run; 
title; 

As for outputs: 

Current Output:
PatIDICD9
1Hypertension Uncomplicated - ICD-9

Desired Output:
PatIDICD9
1Hypertension Uncomplicated - ICD-9
2Hypertension Uncomplicated - ICD-9
3Hypertension Uncomplicated - ICD-9

2 REPLIES 2
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You can try ranges.

'401' - '4019' = '....'

So that will match any string that sorts between the two values. Like '4010','4012345678' etc.

Or you could try regular expressions, but I think you will need to switch to using an INFORMAT instead of a FORMAT.  At least that is what it looks like on the documentation page.

http://documentation.sas.com/?docsetId=proc&docsetVersion=9.4&docsetTarget=n1jriq5xib5j45n1pwpwzk311...

renalstats
Fluorite | Level 6
Using a range ("401" - "4019") did work, but in this particular case I know what the range of suffixes are.

I have not tried the regular expressions yet, will attempt.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation