BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Ksharp
Super User
No. I mean you need firstly to know what obs belong to BASE , what OBS belong to COMPARE , then proc compare base=BASE compare=COMPARE; run;
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

The DROP= dataset option takes a list of variables. 12102 is not a valid variable name.

Also you cannot drop the variable that you want to use to subset the data before you have subset the data.  

You could create two separate datasets.  You could trop the Employee_ID from those datasets if you want.

data base compare;
  set sales5;
  if Employee_ID= 12102 then output base;
  if Employee_ID= 12103 then output compare;
  drop employee_id;
run;

proc compare base=base compare=compare;
 title 'Comparing Observations that having different id';
run;
Nancy05
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Tom,

I like your SAS code Smiley Happyand tried out your code on my new dataset work.sales6. I have made the data for  Employee_ID 12102  and 12105 identical except for their id.

But the result is not what I expected.:

Comparing Observations that having different id

The COMPARE Procedure                                                        
                                             Comparison of WORK.BASE with WORK.COMPARE                                              
                                                           (Method=EXACT)                                                           

Data Set Summary                                                           

Dataset                Created          Modified  NVar    NObs                                   

WORK.BASE     13JUL16:11:22:09  13JUL16:11:22:09     8       0                                   
                                   WORK.COMPARE  13JUL16:11:22:09  13JUL16:11:22:09     8       0                                   

Variables Summary                                                          

Number of Variables in Common: 8.                                                    

Observation Summary                                                         

Number of Observations in Common: 0.                                                              
                                  Total Number of Observations Read from WORK.BASE: 0.                                              
                                  Total Number of Observations Read from WORK.COMPARE: 0.                                           

Number of Observations with Some Compared Variables Unequal: 0.                                   
                                  Number of Observations with All Compared Variables Equal: 0.                                      

Why do they give me the result is 0? Surly I have two identical rows! Here is dataset : work.sales6.

sales6

Obs Employee_ID First_Name Last_Name Gender Salary Job_Title Country Birth_Date Hire_Date
1120102TomZhouM$108,255Sales ManagerAUAUG197301JUN1993
2120103WilsonDawesM$87,975Sales ManagerAUJAN195301JAN1978
3120121IrenieElvishF$26,600Sales Rep. IIAUAUG194801JAN1978
4120122ChristinaNganF$27,475Sales Rep. IIAUJUL195801JUL1982
5120104WilsonDawesM$87,975Sales ManagerAUJAN195302JAN1978
6120105TomZhouM$108,255Sales ManagerAUAUG197301JUN1993

Nancy

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Look higher up in the log. You compared two empty datasets. 

So perhaps the steps to create them is wrong.  Perhaps EMPLOYEE_ID is a character variable instead of a numeric variable? Perhaps it has leading spaces or other non-printing characters that make it so your selection code didn't find the observations you wanted.

Nancy05
Quartz | Level 8

Found the error, missing one zero in Employee_ID, it works well now. Thank you so much for your help! Tom

Here is the ffinal code:

data base compare;
  set work.sales6;
  if Employee_ID= 120102 then output base;
  if Employee_ID= 120105 then output compare;
  drop employee_id;
run;

proc compare base=base compare=compare;
 title 'Comparing Observations that having different id';
run;

Nancy

Reeza
Super User

I assume you have a map of ID1 to ID2?

I would use that as a lookup table to add the new ID to one of the tables. 

Then use proc compare between the two datasets, by that ID that is now the same in both tables. 

You can control the variables that are compared as well. 

Nancy05
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Reeze,

I am a bit lost at what you are suggesting. Could you take the sample data and provide with SAS code to illustrate what you do mean please?

Thanks,

Nancy

Reeza
Super User

I didn't see any sample data provided. 

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Sounds like you want to use the WHERE= dataset option.

Let's make a sample dataset with and ID variable.

data class;
  id+1;
  set sashelp.class;
run;

Now let's compare the first observations (ID=1) to the second (ID=2).

proc compare
  data=class(where=(id=1))
  compare=class(where=(id=2))
;
run;
Nancy05
Quartz | Level 8

Hi Tom,

I have tried your code and got errors.

45 proc compare

46 data=class(Where=(id = 1));

47 compare= class(where=(id=2);

_______

ERROR 180-322: Statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order.

48 run;

Plus, there is no id variable in sashelp.class.

Nancy

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

You can't stick extra sem-colons into the middle of a statment and expect SAS to understand it.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 25 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 6 in conversation