BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
fri0
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, I have a problem trying to match to two tables by nearest time.

I've attached two samples of my tables. The idea is add the column PRICE from MATRIZELEX to MATRIZCB but with a specific condition.

I don't know if is necessary sort the tables, because the matching should avoid that problem.

Then, the condition is: For each row in MATRIZCB, I have to add the PRICE from MATRIZELEX where PRICE has to be the intermediately preceding by time and NEMONICO=TICKER, FECNEG=FECHA and HORNEG>TIME but TIME has to be the nearest time to HORNEG.

I'm sorry if my english is not good. I'll make an example of what I want:

One row in Table MATRIZCB could be:

ID FECNEG HORNEG NEMONICO PRECIO_ORDEN

1262834 24/09/13 12:32:39p.m. FERREYC1 1.83

Looking the table MATRIZELEX for the same date (MATRIZELEX.DATE) and same Nemonico (MATRIZELEX.TICKER) we have 6 results:

FECHA TIME TICKER PRICE

24/09/13 12:33:17p.m. FERREYC1 1.83

24/09/13 12:32:39p.m. FERREYC1 1.81

24/09/13 10:59:21a.m. FERREYC1 1.83

24/09/13 09:58:11a.m. FERREYC1 1.83

So, I only need the PRICE of the record that is lower and nearest with the record in MATRIZCB. As the record in MATRIZCB has the time 12:32:39pm, the matching register has to be record with time 10:59:21a.m. in MATRIZCB.

I tried to use PROC SQL making a join between the tables and getting the differences between times in order to select the minor value but I got multiple values by each row in MATRIZCB. Could you help me please? There is no difference for me if you use sql o data or whatever. Thanks in advance!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Here's one inefficient way, untested and a skeleton.

Basically, do the join and then use a data step to take only the first record which would be the earliest match? You may need the last instead, I haven't considered the problem thoroughly.

proc sql;

create table want1 as

select a.*, b.price

from table1 a

left join table2 b

on

NEMONICO=TICKER and  FECNEG=FECHA and HORNEG>TIME

order by NEMONICO, FECNEG , HORNEG;

quit;

data want;

set want1;

by NEMONICO FECNEG;

if first.FECNEG;

run;

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

How big will your datasets be in reality? There are many ways to do this...some more efficient than others.

fri0
Quartz | Level 8

About 30,000 rows

Reeza
Super User

Here's one inefficient way, untested and a skeleton.

Basically, do the join and then use a data step to take only the first record which would be the earliest match? You may need the last instead, I haven't considered the problem thoroughly.

proc sql;

create table want1 as

select a.*, b.price

from table1 a

left join table2 b

on

NEMONICO=TICKER and  FECNEG=FECHA and HORNEG>TIME

order by NEMONICO, FECNEG , HORNEG;

quit;

data want;

set want1;

by NEMONICO FECNEG;

if first.FECNEG;

run;

fri0
Quartz | Level 8

Hi! I only had to make a minimum changes and it works. I'd forgotten that you can use > or < while matching. Thank you very much!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation