BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
sklm
Calcite | Level 5

I am trying to extract the created date and last modified date of a file and print this to an output table.

I have tried the following method using the FINFO function:

filename fileref "%qtrim(%bquote(&FilePath.))";

data &_OUTPUT;

length Created_Date 8;

drop fid;

infile fileref truncover;

format Created_Date datetime20.;

fid=fopen('fileref');                                                                            

Created_Date=input(finfo(fid,'Create Time'), anydtdtm20.);

Modified_Date=finfo(fid,'Last Modified');

run;

The modified date is given in a character format as "04 December 2013 10:41:07 o'cl      "

But when I try to convert this into a numeric datetime format with an input expression (as with the Created Date), I only get an empty cell.

I tried another method using the following code and it gives the date in a datetime format "04DEC2013:10:41:00", but it does not give me the seconds so it is left as 00.

filename fileref pipe "dir %qtrim(%nrbquote("&FilePath")) /t:w /a:-d";                                                                                         

data &_OUTPUT;

keep LastModified;

format LastModified Datetime20.;                                                                                                                         

infile fileref firstobs=6;                                                                                                               

input mod_date ?? : ddmmyy8. mod_time ?? & time8.;                                                                                   

if mod_date eq . then stop;                                                                                                          

LastModified = DHMS(mod_date,HOUR(mod_time),MINUTE(mod_time),SECOND(mod_time)); 

run;

Does anyone know if there is an easier way of getting the modified date time with seconds, or converting the character format?

3 REPLIES 3
snoopy369
Barite | Level 11

What OS are you using?  I get a normal date format returned by Modified Date ("14Feb2013:13:51:19" for a test file for example). 

sklm
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks for your reply, SAS is using windows server 2008, I have noticed another thread had a similar issue with the finfo function: https://communities.sas.com/thread/38083

I don't know how to get it to extract it in the format I need, so I had to use this conversion to give me the format I need:

format LastModified datetime20.;

fid=fopen('fileref'); /*fid is the file-id*/

Mod_Date=finfo(fid,'Last Modified');

LastModified=INPUT((TRIM(SCAN(Mod_Date ,1," ") || SUBSTRN(SCAN(Mod_Date ,2," "),1,3) || SCAN(Mod_Date ,3," ")) || ":" || SCAN(Mod_Date ,4," ")),datetime20.);

JohnC_Munoz
Calcite | Level 5

@sklm, the lastmodified variable ended up blank for me. The code below worked, through:

data last_mod_date;

format LastModified datetime20.;

fid=fopen('fileref'); /*fid is the file-id*/

Mod_Date=finfo(fid,'Last Modified');

LastModified=input(put(mod_date,$20.),datetime20.);

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation