BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I want to create a macro where I can very quickly subset my observations from the first 5 days of the month then merge this with another dataset by unique ID and compare results. Just wondering how I should be coding to create a macro where I can choose random observations based on the date variable being between the first say 5 days or 7days of each and every month.
Merging should be quite easy after that right? Sorry Im not very good with macros :x
Cheers & Thanks!
3 REPLIES 3
sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10 sbb
Lapis Lazuli | Level 10
As has been suggested previously on this forum channel, suggest you start out first with a working SAS program to confirm the basic logic and code required (DATA, PROC steps, and within them any SAS functions needed).

Then, based on what component(s) of your code is expected to be "variable", then consider leveraging the benefits of the SAS macro facility to create an suitable process that offers desired flexibility that's needed to suit our data filtering and analysis requirements.

There are multiple approaches and SAS facilities to consider using, what with PROC SQL, PROC SORT, DATA step (using MERGE with a BY), and associated SAS functions like DAY().

Especially considering that you are not familiar with SAS macro coding (as stated in your post), it's best to define the logic/process flow, then come back to the forum for additional guidance with evolving the code-piece into a macro, as required.

Scott Barry
SBBWorks, Inc.
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Scott
this is not the first time a request involving "macro" may just be using the wrong terminology. As here when the poster should just be asking for any program solution.
The term "macro" in excel seems to refer to the only form of processing in that environment (if "formula" is just not enough).
So those new to SAS environment may think they should use the term macro to ask about any SAS programming.
(they are certainly not ready for SAS macros at such a new-entrant stage).
peterC
Ksharp
Super User
>can choose random observations

You can use proc surveyselect(Art C mentioned before) or data step to do it.

[pre]
data random;
set sashelp.shoes;
if ranuni(0) ge .2 ;
run;
[/pre]

Ksharp

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 4 in conversation