BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
browste
Calcite | Level 5

Hello,

I am working with a dataset that has a few million records, and instead of sorting by id and visit date, then using a data step to take the first. and last. visit dates for each id I would be interested in a more efficient way to get the data. The proc sort on the dataset takes forever. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

-Steve

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
ballardw
Super User

I would be tempted to use PROC SUMMARY and CLASS statements.

Something like:

proc summary data =have ;

class ID;

var VisitDate;

output out=want max min /autoname;

run;

or

Proc sql;

create table want as

select id, min(visitdate) as firstdate, max(visitdate) as lastdate

from have

group by id;

quit;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

I would be tempted to use PROC SUMMARY and CLASS statements.

Something like:

proc summary data =have ;

class ID;

var VisitDate;

output out=want max min /autoname;

run;

or

Proc sql;

create table want as

select id, min(visitdate) as firstdate, max(visitdate) as lastdate

from have

group by id;

quit;

Haikuo
Onyx | Level 15

If your source data is something other than SAS table, say Oracle, SQL server, then you will have an option doing it using pass-thru. Other than that, you are stuck with Proc Sort. I doubt if Hash table could help, but first you need to make sure your whole table can be fitted into your RAM, and even if it can, I suspect that the Hash sorting would be more efficient than Proc sort.

my 2cents,

Haikuo

browste
Calcite | Level 5

Thanks so much ballardw, both of those are much, much quicker. I really appreciate it!

-Steve

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation