BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
GeethaMN
Obsidian | Level 7

Log:

6    proc import datafile = 'D:\Bangaloreusers\BSRZR05315\TrainingMaterial\Data\Session 6  ! 1\Data\sample_data.xls' 7                    out = ds_imprt 8            DBMS = excel replace; ERROR: DBMS type EXCEL not valid for import.

Please help me out in debugging this error.. occurring while reading excel sheet with Proc Import to create SAS dataset.

SAAAS
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
16 REPLIES 16
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

Moderator Note: I updated the topic title to make this message more readable.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.
Ksharp
Super User

Then try other Engine. Like  XLS  XLSX .

SamuVittorel
Calcite | Level 5
This helped me a lot!!! Thanks buddy!!!
firdovsi9
Calcite | Level 5
Thanks, it helped me too
DanielaNRW
Obsidian | Level 7

Maybe the engine "ExcelCS" would also work.

Which SAS Version are you using?

rahul88888
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi, Geetha

In case you are using a unix based SAS it will not work . you wont be able to import and excel file

Excel is not supported on Unix..

Your best thing is to export the Excel file to a .CSV file and read it in that way.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

If you want a quick fix, save the spreadsheet as a CSV then use DBMS = CSV.

RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

I agree with SASKiwi, but not just for a quick fix.  Whenever "Excel" is used in a post, I would always recommend getting the data out of Excel into a proper data transfer format (CSV, XML etc.), then write a proper datastep import to import that transfer file format.

mathias
Quartz | Level 8

I have the same error, still looking for a solution.

I can't export to CSV manually because I have lots of sheets.

(Or is there a way to export xls sheets to csv from SAS with another method? like x maybe ?)

ERROR: DBMS type EXCEL not valid for import.

I'm working with SAS 9.3 in SAS EG 5.1 (5.100.0.12019) (64-bit) on Windows7

osmelbrito
Obsidian | Level 7

I also have the same error. I have xlsx files and I'm trying to import in a SAS Linux Server (SAS 9.4) and get message DBMS type Excel is not valid

Have you ever found any solution?

L_R
Fluorite | Level 6 L_R
Fluorite | Level 6

Anyone has any solution for .xls, .xlsx files? Please share..

Trix
dscj
Calcite | Level 5

DBMS=XLSX works

mojerry_realdolmen
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi,

If you're using eguide 64 bit then you need to check if your office installation is also in 64 bit.

oter solution is to use the access to pc file server.

kind regards

cmallon
Calcite | Level 5

I have the same ERROR while using PROC IMPORT with excel files. I have checked and my Guide version is 64-bits but my office is 32-bits... which is the solution to this ?

Thanks!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats