BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
zz
Calcite | Level 5 zz
Calcite | Level 5

How do I program to use the field value as column heading, instead of decoded value?

Code below makes columns with FATESTCD DECODED values as its column heading: 

PROC TRANSPOSE DATA=JR.CTYPE OUT=JR.CTYPE_TR(DROP=_NAME_ _LABEL_);
BY USUBJID;
ID C_TYPE;
VAR FATESTCD;
RUN;

How do I change the program, so the column headings take on the field value, instead of the decoded value?

Thank you very much in advance!

zz

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

ID is what's used to specify the variable name. I'm not sure what you mean about coded and decoded value.

You can also use IDLABEL to specify a label. 

ballardw
Super User

It would help to provide some example input data and what you expect.

Since what you are looking at are not "headers" but variable names you may not be able to have the value as a variable name unless the value follows the SAS rules for variable names: starts with a letter or _ character, contains only letters, digits and _, and the length is 32 or fewer characters. Or you get to play around with nonstanrd varaible names that means you spend a lot of time adding ' 'n to most if not all of the variable names when used in code.

There are ways to get close but everything not a numeral, letter or _ will become _.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation