BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Matt3
Quartz | Level 8

Hi,

I am new to hash tables, I know this is an efficient way to merge tables. I have found articles how to merge two or more tables in one way only left join, right join or inner in one data step, already. However, I wonder if it is possible to merge three or more tables. Two of them like using left join, third inner join by hash tables in one data step?  

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
mkeintz
PROC Star

Yes, it is possible.  But if the datasets have variables in common other than the join keys, you'll have to program logic accordingly.  SQL is easier in this regard in that you can just specify A.myvar or B.myvar, etc.

--------------------------
The hash OUTPUT method will overwrite a SAS data set, but not append. That can be costly. Consider voting for Add a HASH object method which would append a hash object to an existing SAS data set

Would enabling PROC SORT to simultaneously output multiple datasets be useful? Then vote for
Allow PROC SORT to output multiple datasets

--------------------------
Matt3
Quartz | Level 8

I am working with large datasets so, I guess hash tables should be more efficient.

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Please note hash tables need to be loaded into memory so the more tables you load the less available memory you will have for each table.

You need to balance any performance gains you might get against the increased coding complexity and any memory limitations you might have.

If you are doing any data lookups in your joins (looking up just one or two columns) you might want to consider using SAS format lookups instead. They are a lot less complicated to code and are just as fast as hash tables. 

Matt3
Quartz | Level 8

I have written this code already. It seems to be fast enough,

klasa3 is left join table and klasa1 is inner join table. 

data hash_test;

if 0 then set klasa1 klasa2 klasa3;
if _N_= 1 then do;
declare hash merge(dataset:'klasa1');
	merge.definekey('name');
	merge.definedata(all:'yes');
	merge.definedone();

declare hash merge2(dataset:'klasa3');
	merge2.definekey('name');
	merge2.definedata('test');
	merge2.definedone();
end;

do until(eof);
 set klasa2 end=eof;

rc=merge2.find();
if rc =0 then do;
	if merge.find()=0 then output;
end;
else do;
	if merge.find()=0 then do;
    call missing (test);
   	output;
end;
end;

end;
stop;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation