DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Group by Query Produces Larger Numbers with More Variables

Accepted Solution Solved
Super Contributor
Accepted Solution

Group by Query Produces Larger Numbers with More Variables

I’m running into a puzzling group by query.  When I run the query with the columns not commented out I receive done number for the sum of ret_1 when I run the same query with the additional columns I receive a bigger number.  Thoughts on why?

proc sql;

create table ret_deg4test2 as
select a.cohort, a.person_uid, a.gender, a.gender_desc, a.residency, a.RESIDENCY_DESC, a.SCHEV_ETHNICITY_DESC,
b.college, b.COLLEGE_DESC_DISPLAY as COLLEGE_DESC,
a.pell_eligible, a.pell_recipient,

/*a.schev_student_status,
a.FIRST_GENERATION, a.HS_GPA, a.HS_GPA_RANGE, a.HS_GPA_RANGE_ID, a.POST_SEC_SCHOOL_GPA, a.SAT_MATH, a.SAT_RANGE, a.SAT_TOTAL,
a.SAT_TOTAL_RANGE_ID, a.SAT_VERBAL, a.SECONDARY_SCHOOL_PERCENT_RANGE, a.SECONDARY_SCHOOL_PERCENTILE,
a.academic_origin, a.academic_origin_id,*/

/*Annual fall to fall measures*/
sum(a.ret_1) as ret_1

from ret_deg3 a
left join ODSSTU.DAR_CAMPUS b on a.first_college=b.COLLEGE

group by a.cohort, a.person_uid, a.gender, a.gender_desc, a.residency, a.RESIDENCY_DESC, a.SCHEV_ETHNICITY_DESC,
b.college, b.COLLEGE_DESC_DISPLAY, a.pell_eligible, a.pell_recipient/*,

a.schev_student_status,
a.FIRST_GENERATION, a.HS_GPA, a.HS_GPA_RANGE, a.HS_GPA_RANGE_ID, a.POST_SEC_SCHOOL_GPA, a.SAT_MATH, a.SAT_RANGE, a.SAT_TOTAL,
a.SAT_TOTAL_RANGE_ID, a.SAT_VERBAL, a.SECONDARY_SCHOOL_PERCENT_RANGE, a.SECONDARY_SCHOOL_PERCENTILE*/;

quit;

Accepted Solutions
Solution
‎08-17-2017 02:01 PM
Super Contributor

Re: Group by Query Produces Larger Numbers with More Variables

Posted in reply to DavidPhillips2

The difference is because a.academic_origin, a.academic_origin_id was missing from the group by.  There is a bug where the whole sql statment script should have errored out please fix in furture versions.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Super Contributor

I noticed that when I take the join out that the number is correct not sure why the number of variables is causing this though.

Solution
‎08-17-2017 02:01 PM
Super Contributor

The difference is because a.academic_origin, a.academic_origin_id was missing from the group by.  There is a bug where the whole sql statment script should have errored out please fix in furture versions.

☑ This topic is solved.

Need further help from the community? Please ask a new question.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 1 in conversation