BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Larrihoover
Obsidian | Level 7

I was wondering the best practice for moving data between Green Plum and unix base sas files on an integrated SAS grid environment. I have seen users use pg_dump or a copy to (format CSV) and then proc imported as SAS files. I have also seen the use of the odbc connection. I was looking for any feedback or if there were alternative methods to best optimize the use of the SAS Grid. Currently I am running small summarized files though ODBC Parallel processed like the following:

%let rc=%sysfunc(grdsvc_enable(_all_,server=SASApp_Grid));
options autosignon;

rsubmit task1 wait=no;

/*functions processed*/

endrsubmit;

/*example of odbc connect*/

proc sql;
connect to odbc(dsn = *** user=ME pwd="&dbpass");

insert into /*SAS premade table name*/_&snapdate.
select * from connection to odbc(

select *
From /*Green Plum Table*/
where date = %unquote(%str(%'&snapdate.%'))::date + interval '1 month' - interval '1 day'
;);
disconnect from odbc;
quit;

I then stack the tables and drop the monthly tables after moving the files (I am pulling by how the tables are partitioned on Green Plum). Should I continue this approach? Appreciate any help or feedback.

-Larri

1 REPLY 1
SASKiwi
PROC Star

If your current process works well why change it?

IMO SAS to database data transfers using SAS/ACCESS products are better than using intermediate text files because of the reliable data type translation of interfaces like ODBC. There is a lot less to go wrong with this approach. 

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 like
  • 2 in conversation