BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
AllenEBingham
Calcite | Level 5

Just installed SAS 9.3 (Windows 32-bit) today ... and was testing (I'm our site's software rep) ... and found the entirely unsatisfactory NOTE explanation in the LOG:

128   %let sopts=%sysfunc(getoption(missing,keyword)) %sysfunc(getoption(center,keyword))

NOTE: A conflicting combination of parameters was specified for the GETOPTION function.

129    %sysfunc(getoption(xwait,keyword)) %sysfunc(getoption(xsync,keyword))

129 ! %sysfunc(getoption(date,keyword))

NOTE: A conflicting combination of parameters was specified for the GETOPTION function.

130    %sysfunc(getoption(papersize,keyword))

131    %sysfunc(getoption(bottommargin,keyword)) %sysfunc(getoption(topmargin,keyword))

132    %sysfunc(getoption(rightmargin,keyword)) %sysfunc(getoption(leftmargin,keyword))

133    %sysfunc(getoption(orientation,keyword))

134   ;

Obviously the system options have changed for Version 9.3 ... and I'll need to look into that, but any hints as to code (within a macro) to use to check for the version of SAS being run?

Note that most of my end users will be using 9.2x for a while ... while some will start using 9.3 --- and I'll need to re-write this code to run as above for Version 9.2 ... and something I'll need to write new for Version 9.3.

Any hints/helps would be appreciated.

Thanks-Allen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

What is the improvement with this new "feature"?

I see no use for the NOTE: but don't find it particularly offensive either.

Interestingly OPTSAVE stores all options in a KEYWORD format.  With the BOOLEANS as 0/1, just like I wish GETOPTION would do when KEYWORD is specified.

OBS    OPTNAME                  OPTVALUE

1    APPLETLOC                C:\Program Files\SAS\SASGraphJ

2    AUTOSAVELOC

3    AUTOSIGNON               0

4    BINDING                  DEFAULT

5    BOMFILE                  1

6    BOTTOMMARGIN             0.000 IN

7    BUFNO                    1

8    BUFSIZE                  0

9    BYERR                    1

10    BYLINE                   1

11    BYSORTED                 1

12    CAPS                     0

13    CARDIMAGE                0

14    CBUFNO                   0

15    CENTER                   0

16    CGOPTIMIZE               3

17    CHARCODE                 0

18    CLEANUP                  1

19    CMDMAC                   0

20    CMPLIB

21    CMPMODEL                 BOTH

DICTIONARY. OPTIONS on the other hand has more info similar to what PROC OPTIONS can provide.

Option                                                  Option

Option Name                       type      Option Setting         Option Description     Location  Option Group

ƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒ

APPEND                            char                             Append at the end of   Portable  ENVFILES

the option value

APPLETLOC                         char      C:\Program             Location of Java       Portable  ENVFILES

Files\SAS\SASGraph     applets

JavaApplets\9.2

ARMAGENT                          char                             ARM Agent to use to    Portable  PERFORMANCE

collect ARM records

ARMLOC                            char      ARMLOG.LOG             Identify location      Portable  PERFORMANCE

where ARM records are

to be written

ARMSUBSYS                         char      (ARM_NONE)             Enable/Disable ARMing  Portable  PERFORMANCE

of SAS subsystems

ASYNCHIO                          Boolean   NOASYNCHIO             Enable asynchronous    Portable  SASFILES

input/output

AUTOSAVELOC                       char                             Identifies the         Portable  ENVDISPLAY

location where

program editor

contents are auto

saved

AUTOSIGNON                        Boolean   NOAUTOSIGNON           SAS/CONNECT remote     Portable  COMMUNICATIONS

submit will

automatically attempt

to SIGNON

BINDING                           char      DEFAULT                Controls the binding   Portable  ODSPRINT

edge for duplexed

output

BOMFILE                           Boolean   BOMFILE                Add Byte Order Mark    Portable  EXTFILES

when creating Unicode

files

BOTTOMMARGIN                      char      0.000 IN               Bottom margin for      Portable  ODSPRINT

printed output

BUFNO                             num       1                      Number of buffers for  Portable  PERFORMANCE

each SAS data set

BUFSIZE                           num       0                      Size of buffer for     Portable  PERFORMANCE

page of SAS data set

BYERR                             Boolean   BYERR                  Set the error flag if  Portable  ERRORHANDLING

a null data set is

input to the SORT

procedure

BYLINE                            Boolean   BYLINE                 Print the by-line at   Portable  LISTCONTROL

the beginning of each

by-group

BYSORTED                          Boolean   BYSORTED               Require SAS data set   Portable  INPUTCONTROL

observations to be

sorted for BY

processing

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

The NOTE: seems harmless enough to me.  I don't see any need to change the programs.

The thing the I don't understand is why SAS doesn't return the boolean options CENTER DATE XSYNC etc in KEYWORD form when you ask for it.

SAS does accept the KEYWORD from for setting the options.

1737  options xwait=0 xsync=0 date=0;

1738  %put %sysfunc(getoption(missing,keyword)) %sysfunc(getoption(center,keyword));

MISSING=. NOCENTER

1739  %put %sysfunc(getoption(xwait,keyword)) %sysfunc(getoption(xsync,keyword)) %sysfunc(getoption(date,keyword));

NOXWAIT NOXSYNC NODATE

Seem like if you can set the option as a KEYWORD that at least you could retrieve it the same way.

AllenEBingham
Calcite | Level 5

Interestingly ... after I looked into this some more myself as well as your reply --- I now realize that in 9.2 it was ignoring the KEYWORD parameter for the boolean type of system options ... and that I can get what I want by removing the KEYWORD option for those system options ... and that the code will work in both 9.2 and 9.3!!!

THANKS-Allen

SASJedi
SAS Super FREQ

>any hints as to code (within a macro) to use to check for the version of SAS being run?

Automatic macro variables you might find interesting when writing macro code to run in a multi-version SAS environment include:

SYSVER - SAS release version (Examples: 9.2, 9.3)

SYSVLONG - SAS release number and maintenance level (Examples: 9.02.02M3P041310, 9.03.01M0P051811)

SYSVLONG4 - Everything in SYSVLONG, plus the 4 digit year of the release (Examples: 9.02.02M3P04132010 , 9.03.01M0P05182011)

Check out my Jedi SAS Tricks for SAS Users
Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

Use %sysevalf( &sysver > 9.2) to test if you are running a version newer than 9.2.

I agree that the NOTE is inappropriate.  It does seem strange that even when you ask for keyword format it does not return it, but changing the output now might break old code.

Also I would like them to fix the strings returned for values that require quotes when assigning the values.

For example if you try this code you will get error messages:

options missing=" ";

%let sopt=%sysfunc(getoption(missing,keyword));

options &sopt;

What I have done is something like:

%let sopt=formchar="%qsysfunc(getoption(missing))";

Here is the list of options that I indentified a couple of years ago that require that treatment.

missing invaliddata formchar formdlim topmargin leftmargin rightmargin bottommargin xprintnm printerpath

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

I think all those problems can be avoided if you are saving options to reset later by using OPTSAVE/OPTLOAD.

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

are invocation-only options now supported in optload/optsave?

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

I don't know about SAS 9.3

For options that can only be specified at invocation what would be the point?

SAS 9.2 they are NOT saved but they are available for viewing or other processing (sans reset) with DICTIONARY.OPTIONS.

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

thought so

and agree

for retrieving option values, sashelp.voption will have to become the source.

I liked the consistent re-usability of a short macro to conveniently collect the value of any option without needing to verify whether Boolean or in need of the keyword when the existing value is to be reused.

Looks like the new macro will have to go through the table handling scl-type functions rather than just supporting

%macro sy(op);

%sysfunc( getoption( &op, keyword))

%mend  sy ;

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

I see no use for the NOTE: but don't find it particularly offensive either.

Interestingly OPTSAVE stores all options in a KEYWORD format.  With the BOOLEANS as 0/1, just like I wish GETOPTION would do when KEYWORD is specified.

OBS    OPTNAME                  OPTVALUE

1    APPLETLOC                C:\Program Files\SAS\SASGraphJ

2    AUTOSAVELOC

3    AUTOSIGNON               0

4    BINDING                  DEFAULT

5    BOMFILE                  1

6    BOTTOMMARGIN             0.000 IN

7    BUFNO                    1

8    BUFSIZE                  0

9    BYERR                    1

10    BYLINE                   1

11    BYSORTED                 1

12    CAPS                     0

13    CARDIMAGE                0

14    CBUFNO                   0

15    CENTER                   0

16    CGOPTIMIZE               3

17    CHARCODE                 0

18    CLEANUP                  1

19    CMDMAC                   0

20    CMPLIB

21    CMPMODEL                 BOTH

DICTIONARY. OPTIONS on the other hand has more info similar to what PROC OPTIONS can provide.

Option                                                  Option

Option Name                       type      Option Setting         Option Description     Location  Option Group

ƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒƒ

APPEND                            char                             Append at the end of   Portable  ENVFILES

the option value

APPLETLOC                         char      C:\Program             Location of Java       Portable  ENVFILES

Files\SAS\SASGraph     applets

JavaApplets\9.2

ARMAGENT                          char                             ARM Agent to use to    Portable  PERFORMANCE

collect ARM records

ARMLOC                            char      ARMLOG.LOG             Identify location      Portable  PERFORMANCE

where ARM records are

to be written

ARMSUBSYS                         char      (ARM_NONE)             Enable/Disable ARMing  Portable  PERFORMANCE

of SAS subsystems

ASYNCHIO                          Boolean   NOASYNCHIO             Enable asynchronous    Portable  SASFILES

input/output

AUTOSAVELOC                       char                             Identifies the         Portable  ENVDISPLAY

location where

program editor

contents are auto

saved

AUTOSIGNON                        Boolean   NOAUTOSIGNON           SAS/CONNECT remote     Portable  COMMUNICATIONS

submit will

automatically attempt

to SIGNON

BINDING                           char      DEFAULT                Controls the binding   Portable  ODSPRINT

edge for duplexed

output

BOMFILE                           Boolean   BOMFILE                Add Byte Order Mark    Portable  EXTFILES

when creating Unicode

files

BOTTOMMARGIN                      char      0.000 IN               Bottom margin for      Portable  ODSPRINT

printed output

BUFNO                             num       1                      Number of buffers for  Portable  PERFORMANCE

each SAS data set

BUFSIZE                           num       0                      Size of buffer for     Portable  PERFORMANCE

page of SAS data set

BYERR                             Boolean   BYERR                  Set the error flag if  Portable  ERRORHANDLING

a null data set is

input to the SORT

procedure

BYLINE                            Boolean   BYLINE                 Print the by-line at   Portable  LISTCONTROL

the beginning of each

by-group

BYSORTED                          Boolean   BYSORTED               Require SAS data set   Portable  INPUTCONTROL

observations to be

sorted for BY

processing

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 5 in conversation