DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Function to Return Poisson Parameter

Frequent Contributor

Function to Return Poisson Parameter

Hello!

The functions POISSON(λ,x) and CDF('POISSON',x,λ) return the value of P(X > x | X ~ Poisson(λ)) given the value of the parameter, λ, and the observed count, x, are input.

I would like to do somewhat the opposite: given a probability, p, and an observed count, x, is there a function that will return the value of λ?

Thanks.
Valued Guide

Re: Function to Return Poisson Parameter

have you looked at CALL RANPOI()
Frequent Contributor

Thanks for the tip Peter C. However, when I looked at the call, it returns random numbers from a Poisson distribution. I am looking for something to return the parameter of a Poisson distribution that matches certain criteria.
Valued Guide

I think you may be looking for the QUANTILE function.
[pre]
data a;
m=1;
n=2;
x = poisson(m,n);
y=quantile('POISSON',x,m);
put x= y=;
run;
[/pre]

There used to be a series of probability and inverse prob functions. Although some are still documented most have been supplanted by the more powerful PDF, CDF, and QUANTILE functions.
Respected Advisor

This still returns the x value in the OP. I believe he is looking to return lambda (or m in this example).

The problem is that m is the solution for a cumulative sum of the following type:

probability = sum (i from 0 to n) {exp (-m) * (m**i) / i!}

I can only guess that some sort of grid search/optimization scenario would be able to do this on a general basis.

SteveDenham
Frequent Contributor

Posted in reply to SteveDenham
Yes, Steve, this is what I was hoping for. I thought maybe SAS had a numerical algorithm already in place to find this. I guess I can write a macro though.

Thanks!
SAS Super FREQ

This is a root-finding problem. Define

f(lambda) = target - cdf("poisson", n, lambda);

and solve for the zeros of f. This is always possible (and has a unique solution) because the CDF is an increasing function of lambda. (Of course, 0<target<1).

To solve the problem, find a root-finding algorithm such as the bisection method implemented in SAS. (I believe that the %inv macro at

http://ftp.sas.com/samples/A57496 gives you what you need; Although it is written as a macro, you ought to be able to decipher it.)

If you have SAS/IML, see

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/imlug/63541/HTML/default/viewer.htm#imlug_genstatexpls_s...

Ask a Question
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 5 in conversation