BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
megak8
SAS Employee

Have you ever wondered if there are functions that are popular among SAS users? If so, what are they? Join us as we focus on the most frequently used SAS functions that:

• Manipulate character data (extract, search and concatenate values).
  • Work with SAS date and time values.
  • Manipulate numeric data (summarize data and round the results).

https://www.sas.com/en_us/webinars/top10-sas-functions/register.html

7 REPLIES 7
tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
How would one determine which are the top 10 functions?
hashman
Ammonite | Level 13

@tomrvincent:

Even if there were a way to determine that (via a survey, say), I've never suspected that when one is writing a program and needs to chose a SAS function to perform a concrete programming action, the decision could be influenced by anything but the nature of this action. Basing it on which functions are more "popular" and which are less would appear to me arbitrary at best. Even if there were more than one function suiting the task, my choice wouldn't be dictated by how they rank in terms of "popularity" but by other factors.    

The only aspect I can see in which the "popularity" of functions may make sense is which functions a newbie should learn first - by the same token as when one studies a foreign language, it's more reasonable to focus on more widely used rather than on more obscure vocabulary. The parallel, though, is rather tangential, as computer languages and natural languages aren't learned in quite the same way.

Kind regards

Paul D.   

tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
The phrase 'most frequently used SAS functions' is what I thought intriguing...how would one gather and search enough programs (and their frequency of being run) to collect a sample size and then extrapolate that to the population of SAS users?
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@tomrvincent 

Why do you dig out and answer on all these old discussions from 2017??

tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Why not? Nobody else did and I didn't 'answer'...I questioned.
Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@tomrvincent 

Well: I can't see much value to revive a 2 year old discussion. There is a good chance that the OP won't reply and add additional value.We're certainly not helping anymore so that's just about closure.

Ideally all questions would get an answer marked as solution - but reality is of course different.

My personal opinion:

- Inactive questions should get closed automatically after some time like in other forums so no one can add additional stuff to it (like: piggy backing on old discussions instead of asking a new questions).

- I can limit searches on discussions which have been marked as resolved

tomrvincent
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Well, you know what they say about opinions.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 like
  • 4 in conversation