BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
aniketwagare0
Fluorite | Level 6

How to remove leading and trailing spaces from excel fine?

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User

Yeah, that's not nearly enough information.

Are you reading in a file or creating a file? How are you doing this? Is it a variable or from a procedure...etc etc...

Please provide more details if you want an answer.

aniketwagare0
Fluorite | Level 6
I have one excel file with me. I want to proceed with it by applying few Base SAS operation. Because of space it shows error. I want to remove each cell leading and trailing spaces.

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Post the offending code and the log that was created, so we can see the exact nature of the ERROR message.

Use the "little running man" and {i} buttons for posting code and log, respectively, as it is then nicely formatted.

ballardw
Super User

If this is data that has been imported into SAS then in a data step:

data want;

set have;

var=strip(var);

run;

will work for one variable. If you have many variables then an array may be best:

data want;

set have;

array c _character_;

do i=1 to dim(c);

c[i]=strip(c[i]);

end;

run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation