BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
BTAinRVA
Quartz | Level 8

I have a table with patient info that has two flag variables, app_flag which indicates the patient had a diagnosis for appendicitis within 30 days of an appendectomy procedure, and chronic_flag which flags those patients that had a diagnosis of a chronic disease within 180 days of an appendectomy procedure. This table will have multiple records for a patient and the two flags may occur in different records. What I want is a table with one row per patient with the two flag variables indicating if they have ever had the flag in any of their records. It is now coming to mind as I write this that maybe a Proc SQL select distinct patid and summing the flag variables (as they are coded 0 and 1).

Any thoughts?

2 REPLIES 2
GreggB
Pyrite | Level 9

This article has an example of creating a data set with one observation per subject from a data set that has multiple obs per subject.

http://www2.sas.com/proceedings/sugi24/Advtutor/p48-24.pdf

BTAinRVA
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks! That is great stuff.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation