BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
corkee
Calcite | Level 5

Hi, I am using SAS to try to calculate the maximum value of a variable for each unique person. However, I want to retain the other columns of the dataset for the row that contains that maximum value. I've tried to use PROC SQL to accomplish this, but I have no idea how to make sure that the other columns also transfer over. For example, my dataset has 250,000 rows, but only 32,000 unique individuals. I want to find the maximum date for each unique person, and for the row that contains the maximum, I also want to retain all other columns. This is my code so far:

proc sql;
    create table test as
    select ID, max(date_var) from dataset
    group by 1;
quit;

Any help would be great. Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Proc sort and a data step will work easily as well. 

Proc sort data=have;
By Id variable;
Run;

Data want;
Set have;
By Id;
If last.id;
Run;

However, if there's the possibility that there may be duplicates of the value SQL is easier. You can use the HAVING clause to keep only the rows of interest. 

Proc sql;
Create table want as
Select *, max(variable) as max_value
From have
Group by Id 
Having max(variable)=variable;
Quit;

@corkee wrote:

Hi, I am using SAS to try to calculate the maximum value of a variable for each unique person. However, I want to retain the other columns of the dataset for the row that contains that maximum value. I've tried to use PROC SQL to accomplish this, but I have no idea how to make sure that the other columns also transfer over. For example, my dataset has 250,000 rows, but only 32,000 unique individuals. I want to find the maximum date for each unique person, and for the row that contains the maximum, I also want to retain all other columns. This is my code so far:

proc sql;
    create table test as
    group by 1;
quit;

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
Reeza
Super User

Proc sort and a data step will work easily as well. 

Proc sort data=have;
By Id variable;
Run;

Data want;
Set have;
By Id;
If last.id;
Run;

However, if there's the possibility that there may be duplicates of the value SQL is easier. You can use the HAVING clause to keep only the rows of interest. 

Proc sql;
Create table want as
Select *, max(variable) as max_value
From have
Group by Id 
Having max(variable)=variable;
Quit;

@corkee wrote:

proc sql;
    create table test as
    group by 1;
quit;

Patrick
Opal | Level 21

@corkee

The Proc Sort / Data Step option @Reeza posted will likely perform better than the SQL.

Should it be possible that you have more than one record with a max date_var in an ID then the SQL will return all rows with a max value but the Proc Sort / Data Step will only return one row. Your pick!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation