BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
podarum
Quartz | Level 8

Hi, I'm trying to figure out how I can sum across columns and check to see which is highest (or sort them).

Here's what I mean.

I have the data

Acct           Prov    Field_1       Field_2          Msg1    Msg2    Msg3  .....   Msg999

123               ON      A                   123              1             1           0                   0

234               ON      B                   124              0             1           1                   1

235               BC      A                   154              1             1           1                   0

256               YK      D                    146             0             0            1                  1

938               MB      F                    156             0             1           1                   1

Pretend I have 100,000 records, I want to see by addition which message pops up to most from Msg1 to Msg999 (may be some missing like Msg 903, etc. is not a columns.     

for Example Msg1 : 234 times

Msg2 : 3484 times,

Msg3 : 23847 times, 

Msg4 : 1 time 

and so on...

Thanks.           

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User

Use STACKODS in combination with PROC MEANS:

proc means data=fake stackods sum mean;
var msg1-msg100;
ods output summary=want;
run;

proc sort data=want; 
by descending sum;
run;

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
ballardw
Super User

proc means data=yourdataset sum;

var msg: ;

run;

the msg: the : denotes a variable list of all variables whose names start with msg.

One of the very nice things of 0/1 coded variables is that the sum = count of values = 1. The mean gives you a percentage if values=1.

Astounding
PROC Star

With so many variables, you probably want the machine to find the largest values.  For example:

proc summary data=have;

var msg: ;

output out=sums (keep=msg: ) sum=;

run;

data want;

set sums;

array counts {*} msg: ;

do i=1 to dim(counts);

variable = vname(counts{i});

count = counts{i};

output;

end;

keep variable count;

run;

proc sort data=want;

by descending count;

run;

proc print data=want;

var variable count;

run;

Reeza
Super User

Use STACKODS in combination with PROC MEANS:

proc means data=fake stackods sum mean;
var msg1-msg100;
ods output summary=want;
run;

proc sort data=want; 
by descending sum;
run;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation