BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
deleted_user
Not applicable
I have a dataset with some firms identified as "targets." I would like to select firms that are within +/- 30% of two parameters (size and ROA) of the targets and somehow flag these firms (other targets can be included in the flagged firms). Ultimately I would like to take the average size of these flagged firms relative to the respective target. Does this make sense? I do not know where to start!

Thanks for any direction you can provide.
4 REPLIES 4
SASKiwi
PROC Star
I suggest you consider flagging each of your targets for size and ROA separately. I find using boolean (0 or 1) flags are very useful:

target_size = 123;
target_ROA = 456;
flag_size = (abs(size - target_size)/target_size LE 0.3);
flag_ROA = (abs(ROA - target_ROA)/target_ROA LE 0.3);

This logic creates flags that will contain 1 if they are within 30%, 0 if they are not.
deleted_user
Not applicable
Thank you for your response! The only issue I see with that solution is that it is only good for one target at a time - I have about 100 targets within the dataset (and targets can be in the list of matches for other targets). Is there a way to loop that logic so that I do not have to separately identify the matches? Thanks!!
Doc_Duke
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
EC,

There is a broad literature on this. Search, for example, for "nearest match" in the forums and you will find
http://support.sas.com/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=39419駻
It has links to lots of techniques to use.

Doc Muhlbaier
Duke
SASKiwi
PROC Star
Perhaps I should have been more explicit:

data targets;
set xxx;
target_size = 123;
target_ROA = 456;
flag_size = (abs(size - target_size)/target_size LE 0.3);
flag_ROA = (abs(ROA - target_ROA)/target_ROA LE 0.3);
run;

This program will flag as many "targets" as there are rows in your input data - hundreds or more. Each of your rows will have two flags, one for size and one for ROA. To select rows meeting your size target:

Add: where flag_size = 1;

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation