BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

Assume I have a numeric variable called "amount" and it has values like -159000E.3, -1125590E.0, 17000987,0.9 etc . Is there any way to find only the exponential values of this variable? In the output I need only -159000E.3 and -1125590E.0

I find difficult to manually verify the values (it has over 10L unique values) for this variable.

6 REPLIES 6
Larrihoover
Obsidian | Level 7
Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Could you please help me understand how that format applies to my scenario?
ballardw
Super User

Depending on what your current format is your question is equivalent to "is my value greater 1000000000" or similar. I have to say I'm not familiar with a format that will use scientific notation quite that way. I would expect to see something more like -1.59E9.

Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
No format has been applied to that variable.
ballardw
Super User

@Babloo wrote:
No format has been applied to that variable.

Show the proc contents result. EVERY variable in a SAS data set has a format. By default for numeric I would expect BEST12. But the values you show for example are not typical for best12.

Babloo
Rhodochrosite | Level 12
Yes, it's in Best12. Format. You can ignore my example which is not adhere
to best12. Format.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 3 in conversation