BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
slolay
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi

I'm reading in csv files on the UNIX and using the TERMSTR option in the file statement ( link SAS(R) 9.2 Companion for UNIX Environments)

filename csvfile " /projx/file1.csv" termstr=CRLF;

data obs_in_ds;

infile "csvfile" firstobs=2 dlm=',' dsd missover;

input projectid $100.;

run;

TERMSTR=

controls the end-of-line or record delimiters in PC- and UNIX-formatted files. This option enables the sharing of UNIX- and PC-formatted files between the two hosts. The following are values for the TERMSTR= option:

CRLF

Carriage Return Line Feed. This parameter is used to create PC format files.

NL

Newline. This parameter is used to create UNIX format files. NL is the default format.

Use TERMSTR=CRLF when you are writing to a file that you want to read on a PC. If you use this option when creating the file, then you do not need to use TERMSTR=NL when reading the file on the PC.

This works well and do not need to convert the files from PC to unix or vice versa when reading them in. But to avoid changing the code if we receive files in the other format next time it would be good to see if the SAS program can work out which environment the file if from and then use the option or not.

Thanks

Steve

7 REPLIES 7
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

Did you consider just running DOS2UNIX on the files?

This will not work for TERMSTR=CR.

data _null_;

infile FT52F001 lrecl=1000000 termstr=NL length=l eof=eof;
   input @l byte $1.;

select(byte);
      when('0d'x) TERMSTR='CRLF';

otherwise   TERMSTR='NL';

end;

put TERMSTR=;
   call symputX('TERMSTR',termstr);

eof:
stop;

run;
%put NOTE: TERMSTR=&termstr;
ScottBass
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

What data _null_ said.

As the saying goes "If the only tool you own is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail".  Other than as an academic exercise in SAS, why don't you just ensure that your input files are in Unix format?

Google "sed convert dos to unix".  This was the first hit:  HowTo: UNIX / Linux Convert DOS Newlines CR-LF to Unix/Linux Format

Also, if you're FTPing the files from Windows to Unix and vice versa, make sure you transfer text files as TEXT not BINARY.  The FTP protocol will handle converting the line terminators to the correct value for the given operating system.  If you're using an FTP client, add .CSV, .SAS, .LOG, .LST, etc to the list of filename extensions that are considered text files.

Hope this helps,

Scott

Please post your question as a self-contained data step in the form of "have" (source) and "want" (desired results).
I won't contribute to your post if I can't cut-and-paste your syntactically correct code into SAS.
Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

a solution that works with both unix and windows line endings is to extend the DLM= option to include '0D'x

the normal line ending on unix is just '0A'x and on windows '0D0A'x so the only problem is that 0D.

slolay
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Peter

Thanks for this.   So do I need to change the DLM= value each time the file changes or can I use a DLM value which will work with both formats?

Regards

Steve

Peter_C
Rhodochrosite | Level 12

for any infile statement that refers to files from either environment you can specif DLM='0d20'x

(assuming space is 20x)

It seems very unlikely that DLM type input would ever have a 0Dx that must be treated as data

On windows the environment would eat that 0Dx and on unix, it would be treated like a space delimiter (at the end of a line this would have no impact).

So on both unix and on windows platforms  DLM='0D20'x will achieve what you need.

give it a try

slolay
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Scott

Being a traditionalist....I did not want to change the files we got to read in from the client.  Sure I could convert the files but would rather keep them in their original state. I thought there may be a way to tell if a file was windows or unix based.

Thanks

Steve

data_null__
Jade | Level 19

slolay wrote:

I thought there may be a way to tell if a file was windows or unix based.

Hello, I showed you the code you need above.  It reads one record and creates a TERMSTR macro variable.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 7 likes
  • 4 in conversation