BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
pandhandj
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Guys,

I am stuck (again) and could do with some help please.

I have a character variable which is taken from an XML file.  Within this variableis a name, i dont know what the is, or where it is located within th variable.  I nned to select the name and then place it into a new variable.

this is an edited example of the variable (to remove any propietry data) - 

...2001/XMLSchema"><Test><Overall>98</Overall><Score>98</Score><Source>Data</Source><Data>TRUMP, DONALD&lt;br/&gt;19xx-xx-xx&lt;br/&gt;&lt;br/&gt;&lt;br/&gt;</Data><Cause>&lt;a href="http://...

the name is always marked by <Data> (only instance in variable) and is always ended by the "&lt;br/&gt" marker (there are more instances of this marker later in the field).

I have been using the code below, it can select the name, but i cant get it to stop selecting after the name, so i end up with all the XML stuff after the name.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks in advance, 

paul

data want;
set have;
iname = index(var,'<Data>');
name = substr(var, iname + 6, '&lt;br/&gt');
drop iname;
run;

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

A quick example:

data test;
x1 = '<Source>Data</Source><Data>TRUMP, DONALD&lt;br/&gt;19xx-xx-xx&lt;br/&gt;&lt;br/&gt;&lt;br/&gt;</Data>';
begin = index(x1,'<Data>')+6;
end = index(x1,'&lt;br/&gt;');
x2 = substr(x1,begin,end - begin);
run;

If the reference string for the end

&lt;br/&gt;

appears anywhere before the reference string for the beginning

<Data>

you will have to substr x1 first so that it actually starts at "begin".

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Kurt_Bremser
Super User

The third argument to substr() (the length) needs to be a number, so you must calculate that by subtracting the position of the first character of the name from the position of '&lt;br/&gt' in your string.

pandhandj
Obsidian | Level 7

HI Kurt,

thanks for your answer, unfortunatley i dont know the name, so i cant work out the lenght.

I tried using scan to select individual words from the name, but i also dont know the naming format (first name, last name or last name, middle name, first name, second name, or any combination), which then gives me problems when i try to re-combine the words...

paul

pandhandj
Obsidian | Level 7

HI Kurt, 

I have just worked out what you mean!

I have the start position of the name, so if i work out the position of the & and then substr from start to the &, i will be left with the name?

I will give that a try,

thanks,

paul

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

A quick example:

data test;
x1 = '<Source>Data</Source><Data>TRUMP, DONALD&lt;br/&gt;19xx-xx-xx&lt;br/&gt;&lt;br/&gt;&lt;br/&gt;</Data>';
begin = index(x1,'<Data>')+6;
end = index(x1,'&lt;br/&gt;');
x2 = substr(x1,begin,end - begin);
run;

If the reference string for the end

&lt;br/&gt;

appears anywhere before the reference string for the beginning

<Data>

you will have to substr x1 first so that it actually starts at "begin".

pandhandj
Obsidian | Level 7

Hi Kurt,

I have got it going Smiley Happy

If we ever meet up, a few glasses of your favourite tipple are on me!

all the best,

paul

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation