BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
☑ This topic is solved. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
Demographer
Pyrite | Level 9
It is the output of a proc tabulate (cels below were merged).
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Yes, but it doesn't make much sense.  

You have a male, from country A in period 2000, who has reulsts 2,3 (no information as to what the 2/3 represents).  You then have two more rows 2/2 2/2.  Which is it 2/3, 2/2 or 2/2?  Or was it three timepoints within period 2000?  Post some test data if you want some code on how to do it directly.

Demographer
Pyrite | Level 9
Don't pay attention to the data. I cannot copy the real values for confidentiality purposes. These are just random values. There is also another row that I forget to include which was the age group.
data_null__
Jade | Level 19

@Demographer wrote:

I copied/pasted in Excel the output of a proc tabulate and then imported it in SAS. When I tried the out statement, it gaves me only one column for variables X1 X2. I suppose this was probably not the most efficient way.

PROC TABULATE can create a data set directly using OUT= on the PROC statement.   This would avoid all the headaches associates with a trip to EXhell and back.

You can more easily fix your data imported from EXhell using the update trick

data haveV/view=haveV;
   set have;
   retain dummy 1;
   run;
data want;
   update haveV(obs=0 keep=dummy) haveV;
   by dummy;
   output;
   drop dummy;
   run;
Demographer
Pyrite | Level 9
I tried this. The problem is that I want 2 separate column for X1 and X2 (these are 2 categories of a same variable). When I used the out= statement, they appear in a single column.
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Ok then, at a guess:

proc means data=have;
  by sex country period age_group;
  var thevar;
  where thevar="A";
  output out=tab1 n=x1;
run;
proc means data=have;
  var thevar;
  where thevar="B";
  output out=tab2 n=x2;
run;
data want;
  merge tab1 tab2;
run;

You could also proc means to get your overall output then transpose the data up, or count it directly in a datastep etc.

today
Calcite | Level 5

I have the newest version of sas 9.4.  I used to use this code but now it only works on the first retain statement.  All subsequent retain statements give the error message " 

retain _analyst;
------

ERROR 180-322: Statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order.

"

any ideas why this doesn't work now?

I tried retain _ALL_ and this doesn't help.

Tom
Super User Tom
Super User

@today wrote:

I have the newest version of sas 9.4.  I used to use this code but now it only works on the first retain statement.  All subsequent retain statements give the error message " 

retain _analyst;
------

ERROR 180-322: Statement is not valid or it is used out of proper order.

"

any ideas why this doesn't work now?

I tried retain _ALL_ and this doesn't help.

Please open a new thread for your question.  Include more lines from the log so that the error message is shown in context.  Also use the Insert Code button so that formatting (like what word is underlined) is preserved.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 22 replies
  • 16 likes
  • 9 in conversation