DATA Step, Macro, Functions and more

Filename statement for new GDG entries, on MVS?

Occasional Contributor

Filename statement for new GDG entries, on MVS?

Hello ...

Does anybody have any experience of using the SAS Filename statement for allocating new GDG entries on MVS platform?

The SAS Documentation (link below) says that the SAS Filename statement must have the "absolute" form of the file name to allocate, and cannot use the relative form "(+1)".

http://morgan.dartmouth.edu/Docs/sas92/support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/hosto390/61886/HTML/defa...

However, in my project I see a program running in Production which is successfully using a SAS Filename statement to allocate a new GDG entry using the relative form. This is working fine. (Code and log extracts below. I have masked the genuine pathname).

• Does anybody know why the SAS Documentation says that it's not possible, when actually it is?
  • Does this imply that the SAS filename statement might fail under some circumstances?
  • Do I look at outdated Documentation?
  • Do I miss something obvious?

The program which I refer to has been running monthly for more than 6 years in our Production environment. There has been no failure which caused anybody to change this method of allocating the new GDG entry. 

We use SAS9.2 on MVS (OS/390).

code:
filename t 'A.B.C.D.E.F(+1)' DISP=(new,CATLG);
filename t;

libname STAGEEMP "A.B.C.D.E.F(0)" DISP=OLD;

log:
filename t 'A.B.C.D.E.F(+1)' DISP=(new,CATLG);
filename t;
NOTE: Fileref T has been deassigned.

libname STAGEEMP "A.B.C.D.E.F(0)" DISP=OLD;
NOTE: Libref STAGEEMP was successfully assigned as follows:
      Engine:        BASE