BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
vs213gm
Fluorite | Level 6

I am attempting to use the FILENAME PIPE statement on SAS University Edition. Unable to do so.

ERROR: Insufficient authorization to access PIPE.

Similarly, on using X, get

ERROR: Shell escape is not valid in this SAS session.

I know this might be a little too basic, but not able to get past in the past few hours.
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Reeza
Super User
SAS UE doesn't support PIPE and X commands, the VM is a locked down environment. A fair trade for the software.
PROC HTTP will work in UE, but not if you're trying to access a secure website.

I think there was a question on this under the SAS UE (Learning) Forum earlier this week.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Well, its one of two things, either you don't have access to the area your trying to work with either through incorrect syntax or permissions, or, more likely, SAS UE (which is a feature limited version of SAS) doesn't have this functionality.  

My question would be what are you trying to do, and why?  I don't see any reason you would need to be trying to use OS commands through what is essentially a learning tool, even advanced SAS use there are better methds and processes for such tasks.

vs213gm
Fluorite | Level 6

What I'm attempting to do is to read a web page & extract data from that dynamically. Now trying to do that with FILENAME URL & FILENAME SOCKET. You're free/requested/welcome to advise me which is a more effective method.

Also, one of the things I wanted to ask was if SAS UE did provide these features (as I'm presently using the same to build a pilot on something). Thanks anyways.

Reeza
Super User
SAS UE doesn't support PIPE and X commands, the VM is a locked down environment. A fair trade for the software.
PROC HTTP will work in UE, but not if you're trying to access a secure website.

I think there was a question on this under the SAS UE (Learning) Forum earlier this week.
LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20
Cab you from inside the VM OS Web browser access that URL?
Also, -noxcmd option could be the default setting.
Data never sleeps
ChrisHemedinger
Community Manager

This was answered in this related thread.  In short: SAS University Edition doesn't allow you to modify config-level options like LOCKDOWN, but PROC HTTP is enabled.

It's time to register for SAS Innovate! Join your SAS user peers in Las Vegas on April 16-19 2024.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 5 in conversation