BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
milts
Pyrite | Level 9

I have a script which extract data from a MS SQL table. However I'm getting a UCS-2 transcoding error as I have a column with a nvarchar(max) data type. I have some records with more than 32000

Is there a syntax for my proc sql script that I can define the dbmax_text? I know for libname I'll be able to add the dbmax_text.

proc sql noprint;
	connect to odbc("Driver=ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server;Server=SQLSVR;Database=MYDB;uid=user;pwd=pwd;");
	create table extract(compress=no) as
	select * from connection to odbc
	(
		select * from mysch.mytbl
	);
	disconnect from odbc;
quit;

Thanks!

6 REPLIES 6
error_prone
Barite | Level 11
As far as I know 32k is the maximum number of chars a variable can store. I am sure, that others had the same problem before, so maybe the search function reveals possibilities to solve the problem.
SASKiwi
PROC Star

DBMAX_TEXT is also a dataset option. Have you tried this?

proc sql noprint;
	connect to odbc("Driver=ODBC Driver 11 for SQL Server;Server=SQLSVR;Database=MYDB;uid=user;pwd=pwd;");
	create table extract(compress=no dbmax_text = 32767) as
	select * from connection to odbc
	(
		select * from mysch.mytbl
	);
	disconnect from odbc;
quit;

You will still have a problem with text > 32767 characters though.

milts
Pyrite | Level 9

As a workaround I had to split the column to 16k each on my sql query then concatenate them when creating the sas dataset and assigning a length of 32000.

My next problem now is to resolve the same transcoding error when writing the processed data back to sql. I'm using a proc append to a sql table. In my libname I have defined dbmax_text=32000 in my libname statement.

proc append base=sqllib.myoutput data=extract_processed force; run;

Are there other workarounds for this or I really won't be able to writeback a 32k length field into a nvarchar(max) datatype in sql?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

Please post the log with the errors.

milts
Pyrite | Level 9

Sorry I'm unable to extract the whole log as it's residing on a client machine.

But error I get is this one:

ERROR: Unable to transcode data to/from UCS-2 encoding.
error_prone
Barite | Level 11

See http://support.sas.com/kb/40/566.html and http://support.sas.com/kb/47/787.html.

Your problem looks like those described in the linked pages: mismatching encodings. I recommend contacting tech support.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 1 like
  • 3 in conversation