BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
claire_sas
Calcite | Level 5

Hi

I'm using the Excel libname engine to output some SAS data to Excel. There are several datasets that I want to output and I have created the templates in Excel with the appropriate titles and formatting, so I am just interested in outputting the numbers. However it seems that I also need to output column headers (am I right?) and because my column headers are years (2001-2015) then when they are output to Excel it shows each header cell as having the error 'number stored as text'. I know I can turn off the error but if I send somebody the workbook they will still see the error. It will take too long to click on each one and choose ignore error, because there are so many. Does anyone know how to output the data and keep the headings as numeric?

Thanks.

4 REPLIES 4
Reeza
Super User
How are your templates formatted, I would have assumed the templates would correct this if they are formatted correctly. I;m assuming you are using the LABELS option as well, rather than Header?
claire_sas
Calcite | Level 5

I formatted the rows as text but it still tells me that it's a number that I am storing as text, like I don't know that already. I tried changing it to numeric but that didn't work either. Is there something else that I should be doing?

I am not using those options because the column names don't have labels, they are just 2001, 2002, etc. But if I did give them labels they would just be the same and surely they would come out as text too?

Thanks.

Reeza
Super User
What if you format it as numbers? I would try the LABELs option. Are you using EG, usually 2001 isn't a valid column name in SAS.
claire_sas
Calcite | Level 5

As mentioned I tried formatting the Excel rows as numbers and that didn't get rid of the green triangle errors.

Yes, I'm using EG and it doesn't have a problem with column headings containing only numbers.

When you say the LABELS option do you mean DBLABEL=YES? My column headers don't have labels, and I could create them but it's not really practical because there are so many columns, and aren't labels always stored as text anyway? I want SAS to recognise that the column headings are numbers rather than text, so that they are sent to Excel as numbers.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Don't miss out on SAS Innovate - Register now for the FREE Livestream!

Can't make it to Vegas? No problem! Watch our general sessions LIVE or on-demand starting April 17th. Hear from SAS execs, best-selling author Adam Grant, Hot Ones host Sean Evans, top tech journalist Kara Swisher, AI expert Cassie Kozyrkov, and the mind-blowing dance crew iLuminate! Plus, get access to over 20 breakout sessions.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation