BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
Venkat4
Quartz | Level 8

WARNING: Email: 552 5.3.4 Error: message file too big

I am getting this WARNING in the SAS log in one of the batch processes. This has 2 excel file attachment -- one is 9MB size and the other one is 100KB size. I don't want to reduce the file size, as most of them are required. When I changed it to CSV, the size is almost doubled, so it is not an option. Right now it uses proc export to xlsx file and then attach via filename email statements.

The program abends due to this issue and does not send any emails. I had to manually run from EG and it works fine from EG.

Can anyone suggest a work around for this without removing columns in excel file?

I am looking for options where you tell SAS to ignore these warning or use larger than 10MB file size, but could not able to find one.

Thanks.

3 REPLIES 3
SASKiwi
PROC Star

This is a restriction of your email system - nothing to do with SAS - it is just returning the error from your email system. You could try zipping the attachment first.

Venkat4
Quartz | Level 8

Thanks, I got confused because it works from EG and not via batch process.

Do you think EG uses local Outlook and batch job uses email server in SAS grid that restricts the size?

I will look into zipping, but do you use x command and gzip or how you would do the zipping other ways?

SASKiwi
PROC Star

I suggest you check with your email admin to find out what your email restrictions are in different environments. If you are emailing within your organisation can you exchange files via a file share or use FTP so you don't have these restrictions?

I know some email systems will automatically zip files once they reach a certain size.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 3 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 2 in conversation