BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
vs213gm
Fluorite | Level 6

I saw another post on this subject, but couldn't obtain solution for my trouble. I am using SAS Univ Edition (Linux version), installed on Oracle VirtualBox, which is installed atop Mac OS X 10.10 (Yosemite). Can you please help?

PS: My Excel workbook has 2 worksheets.

6 REPLIES 6
Reeza
Super User
Your question isn't clear. What are you trying to do that you can't do?

Import an Excel sheet? Use proc import with DBMS = XLSX. You can find the code for proc import in the snippets section.
vs213gm
Fluorite | Level 6

While trying to assign a libref using either the Excel or the PCFILES PATH option, I encounter the error stated on my post title, i.e. "Excel Engine Not Found on SAS UE"

The other things I mentioned in my post were details. I'm using SAS Univ Edition, which is running on Oracle Virtual Box on Ubuntu, installed on Mac OS X 10.10.

And while I am not sure if I need to mention this too, I'm running SAS Studio on Firefox 42.0.

Kindly let me know if the above info suffices.

If so, please let me know how to assign & use a Excel file, which contains two worksheets (let us for this post's sake name the 2 sheets as Abc & Xyz). Thanks.

Reeza
Super User
Libname methods aren't supported on Unix, and because the VM is on Unix you can't use the libname method. You need to use proc import.
vs213gm
Fluorite | Level 6

Ok, I think I need to first of all apologize, as I think I am being quite unclear & incoherent in the way i am expressing myself.

So let me may be reiterate by saying that I am using SAS Studio on a browser (Firefox, as I mentioned in the last post), which is running on Mac. It is the SAS engine that's running on a VM on Linux.

This clarification is important as I do not have a problem with using the LIBNAME statement per se (for regular folders). I am struggling only when I use the LIBNAME for Excel file.

Plus, I have used a script given to me in this community, which uses PROC IMPORT to convert xls/xlsx files to SAS Data Files.

With that being said, can someone help me to assign a LIBREF to an Excel File (before it's converted to a SAS Data File)

Reeza
Super User
You can't do what you want to do.
You cannot assign a LIBNAME to an Excel file using SAS Studio running SAS University Edition.

See the post from Cynthia Zender here:
https://communities.sas.com/t5/SAS-Procedures/Excel-and-Lib-statement-on-demand-Excel-Engine/m-p/217...
vs213gm
Fluorite | Level 6

Have been away from the community for a while. Thanks anyways for the article URL. Will read & revert, if necessary. Thanks again. Appreciate much !!

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation