BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
m_o
Obsidian | Level 7 m_o
Obsidian | Level 7

I would appreciate it if someone could advise me on how to print out the exact p-value from a simple proc reg statement. 

The model p-value output shows p<0.001 for some covariates but I would like the exact value like 0.000000000542

Thank you very much!

TW

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

When you create an output data set from PROC REG using ODS OUTPUT, the p-value is automatically given a format which forces it to print as p<0.0001. If you give it a different format, it will print in whatever format you want. Although it's hard for me to envision a use for a p-value that is correct to 14 decimal places.

--
Paige Miller

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

When you create an output data set from PROC REG using ODS OUTPUT, the p-value is automatically given a format which forces it to print as p<0.0001. If you give it a different format, it will print in whatever format you want. Although it's hard for me to envision a use for a p-value that is correct to 14 decimal places.

--
Paige Miller
PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Adding:

I don't know what you are doing, but this seems like an abuse of the p-value, it seems like whatever use you might have for a p-value with 14 decimal places is invalid — with the possible except of confirming that your own algorithm to compute p-values matches SAS, and I'd be shocked if PROC REG was the right way to do this.

--
Paige Miller
ballardw
Super User

Generate an output set as @PaigeMiller indicated and display the values with proc print, report or tabulate setting the desired format.

Or delve into the wonders of Proc Template and change the format in the table definition (WAY Overkill but would be the way if you don't want to send output to a data set.)

m_o
Obsidian | Level 7 m_o
Obsidian | Level 7

Thank you for your help!

I needed it for a GWAS problem where there are lots of multiple comparisons 😃 

Code that worked was:

ods output ParameterEstimates=pval1;
proc reg data= abc;
model aa = x1 x2 ;
run;

proc contents data=pval1; /*to identify label for pvalue*/
run;

data pval2;
set pval1;
format Probt pvalue15.13;
run;

PaigeMiller
Diamond | Level 26

Sorry, but you can't convince me that 14 decimal places are needed for multiple comparisons. This is improperly using the p-values.

--
Paige Miller

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 6 likes
  • 3 in conversation