BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
ssofat90
Fluorite | Level 6

I am trying to import a csv file for a college project. The file is around 1.8 GB and i want it to be in the SAS work library. 

It gives me the following error 

ERROR: Out of space writing to file /tmp/SAS_work72DD00005218_localhost.localdomain/#LN00015.

is there any work around. I can't subset my data also as i am not able to open in it excel because of the size also.

Any help appreciated.

7 REPLIES 7
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Try compressing the dataset. SAS offers different kinds of compression (see dataset option COMPRESS=).

http://support.sas.com/documentation/cdl/en/lrcon/68089/HTML/default/viewer.htm#p0y0x1j67vtqhnn1on1c...

PG
Ksharp
Super User
Are you using UE ?

You can switch WORK into another path:

options user='/folders/myfolders/';
proc import ..........

ssofat90
Fluorite | Level 6
I am on university edition.
even if i switch if to the a permanent library..

It gives me the same error.

instead of work.import..

its sashelp.import.. but still the same.
ballardw
Super User

BAD idea to get into the habit of writing anything into SASHELP library and SASUSER isn't a great place for data either.

If this is at school and using a school computer then your use account may well be limited as to available space. If this sound possible talk to your IT folks.

ssofat90
Fluorite | Level 6
I am using my laptop... its not a university account..
just the university edition on my laptop..

Code - PROC IMPORT DATAFILE=REFFILE
DBMS=CSV
OUT=WORK.IMPORT2;
GETNAMES=YES;
RUN;

PROC CONTENTS DATA=WORK.IMPORT2; RUN;

Error -
No space left on device

Any suggestions
PGStats
Opal | Level 21

Try 

OUT=WORK.IMPORT2(COMPRESS=YES)

PG
ballardw
Super User

How much free space do you have on the drive?

Note that some of the operations with SAS require more disk space than just the size of the data set to work with.

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 2 likes
  • 4 in conversation