BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
🔒 This topic is solved and locked. Need further help from the community? Please sign in and ask a new question.
m1ny
Fluorite | Level 6

Hello, I am trying to convert a character variable (which is number) to a numeric variable.

But an error message shows up. It won't do what I want.

Here is my log

142  data sampling3;
143  rename visitno=visit;
144  set sampling2;
145  if visit ^=' ' then visitno=input(visit,8.);
146  drop visit;
147  run;

NOTE: Invalid argument to function INPUT at line 145 column 29.
RHSP_ID=C005650 Group=1 visit=- HIVstatus=N sex=. first_hiv_confirm=. age_at_sample=. samp_date=.
vldate_coll1=. vl_copies1=  vldate_coll2=. vl_copies2=  vldate_coll3=. vl_copies3=  vldate_coll4=.
vl_copies4=  vldate_coll5=. vl_copies5=  vldate_coll6=. vl_copies6=  vldate_coll7=. vl_copies7=
vldate_coll8=. vl_copies8=  vldate_coll9=. vl_copies9=  vldate_coll10=. vl_copies10=
vldate_coll11=. vl_copies11=  vldate_coll12=. vl_copies12=  vldate_coll13=. vl_copies13=
vldate_coll14=. vl_copies14=  vldate_coll15=. vl_copies15=  visitno=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=234
RHSP_ID=C005650 Group=2 visit=- HIVstatus=N sex=. first_hiv_confirm=. age_at_sample=. samp_date=.
vldate_coll1=. vl_copies1=  vldate_coll2=. vl_copies2=  vldate_coll3=. vl_copies3=  vldate_coll4=.
vl_copies4=  vldate_coll5=. vl_copies5=  vldate_coll6=. vl_copies6=  vldate_coll7=. vl_copies7=
vldate_coll8=. vl_copies8=  vldate_coll9=. vl_copies9=  vldate_coll10=. vl_copies10=
vldate_coll11=. vl_copies11=  vldate_coll12=. vl_copies12=  vldate_coll13=. vl_copies13=
vldate_coll14=. vl_copies14=  vldate_coll15=. vl_copies15=  visitno=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=235
RHSP_ID=C005650 Group=3 visit=- HIVstatus=N sex=. first_hiv_confirm=. age_at_sample=. samp_date=.
vldate_coll14=. vl_copies14=  vldate_coll15=. vl_copies15=  visitno=. _ERROR_=1 _N_=236
NOTE: Mathematical operations could not be performed at the following places. The results of the
      operations have been set to missing values.
      Each place is given by: (Number of times) at (Line):(Column).
      3 at 145:29
NOTE: There were 1126 observations read from the data set WORK.SAMPLING2.
NOTE: The data set WORK.SAMPLING3 has 1126 observations and 38 variables.
NOTE: DATA statement used (Total process time):
      real time           0.01 seconds
      cpu time            0.01 seconds

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION
5 REPLIES 5
m1ny
Fluorite | Level 6

Thank you for your comments;

it was very helpful!

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

It indicates that in lines 234 to 236 of your input data set, visit contains a single hyphen.

So expand your condition to

if visit > ' ' and strip(visit) ne '-' then visitno = input(visit,8.);
RW9
Diamond | Level 26 RW9
Diamond | Level 26

Sorry LinusH, I wouldn't agree with supressing warnings, they come out in the log for a reason, and it would fail QC in my opinion if this type of thing is hidden.  

Simplest method to get actual values is to perform the input on a compressed string - keep only numerics.  Do note though the possible erroneous one last in the list, you need to think about all combinations in your data and how to handle this best, what to map to what.  As this is visit data, I presume you use CDISC?  If so a DB visit to SDTM visit map dataset is probably the best way to go.

data sampling3;
  input visit $;
  visitno=input(compress(visit,,"kd"),8.);
datalines;
-
a
a1
;
run;

LinusH
Tourmaline | Level 20

Agreed @RW9. If this is part of a system with regular delivery, there should definitely be a data validation step prior to the data type conversion routine. But once validated (on errors tracked separately), I see no problem of using the ?? operator.

Data never sleeps

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 4 likes
  • 4 in conversation