BookmarkSubscribeRSS Feed
jth128
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi,

I need to update an Excel spreadsheet in situ and would like to avoid using DDE so I want to use the Excel libname engine and get errors like the following:

ERROR: Bind parameters: Invalid column name: Name

This is when I try writing to the file using a data step. Can anyone tell me how to avoid this error when using the Excel LIBNAME engine to write out the data or what it means so I can take things further myself?

Thanks in advance,

John

5 REPLIES 5
jth128
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Kurt,

I have seen this already but my variable names or labels do not contain any dots so I am sure that it helps.

Thanks anyway,

John

Kurt_Bremser
Super User

Hmm. All references to this error message point to variable names and labels.

So I'd try to get all names and labels to conform to validvarname=v7 (alphabetic characters, digits and underline) and start from there.

jth128
Fluorite | Level 6

Hi Kurt,

After another look, I think that I have it sorted. Foolishly, I left a header=no option in the libname statement from an original that I had copied and amended. That appears to have triggered the message and removing it helped. In case anyone else has the same problem, I am sharing this here for reference.

Thanks for your time,

John

sas-innovate-2024.png

Join us for SAS Innovate April 16-19 at the Aria in Las Vegas. Bring the team and save big with our group pricing for a limited time only.

Pre-conference courses and tutorials are filling up fast and are always a sellout. Register today to reserve your seat.

Register now!

How to Concatenate Values

Learn how use the CAT functions in SAS to join values from multiple variables into a single value.

Find more tutorials on the SAS Users YouTube channel.

Click image to register for webinarClick image to register for webinar

Classroom Training Available!

Select SAS Training centers are offering in-person courses. View upcoming courses for:

View all other training opportunities.

Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 likes
  • 2 in conversation